• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Girlie Poo, Mushy Poo and Diet- Newly Adopted, Unhealthy Girlies

brumbydashy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've adopted two female adult guinea pigs who were not properly cared for.

This is the younger female's poo, is this normal or healthy? I have two boars so I'm sure you can imagine what their poo looks like!

The slightly older girlie has very mushy poo and no doubt a case of scurvy as her coat is thoroughly rough. I will be taking them both to the vet for a check up next week by the latest, sooner if the one girlie's mushy poo doesn't improve.

Their diet was $5 muesli pellets with seeds, corn and the coloured bits. A massive bowl per day with about 5% fiber and no vitamin c. One carrot. No water bowl. Meadow hay and unlimited grass. Occassionally they would get cabbage or brussel sprouts. 😐

I didn't anticipate them to be this unhealthy and it does hurt to think of them, and it is quite stressful for me. I won't take a photo of the mushy poo as I don't want to disturb her nest area, but I think we know what that is like too.

Let me know what you thank, many thanks in advance.

Attachments

brumbydashy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
* Sorry, no water bottle either as the previous owner said there was enough water in the grass........ so I'm thinking a bit of dehydration too.. wondering how I can also encourage them to use a water bowl.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, those poos look a bit small but some piggies do have smaller poops, our Blodwen does tiny dainty poops about half the size of the boys! Grass does contain vit C and also a fair bit of moisture so things may not be as bad as you think, but the muesli diet does sound dreadful. A vet check is the first obvious thing to do, and introducing more veg- cucumber is a good idea if the piggies arent used to drinking water- you can ditch the muesli straight away but introducing other new foods should be done gradually. Maybe a probiotic might be a good idea short term, maybe some pro-C that you can syringe feed a couple of mls so you can see they are getting some extra water as well as the vit C and probiotic?
2 years ago I brought home 2 piggies who had been fed unlimited muesli and carrots while living in a hamster cage, they were very obese and could barely waddle 3 feet without getting tired, so I know it can be a bit overwhelming to start with, but a few weeks later they were completely different piggies- best of luck!

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I hope those poor piggies get sorted and can see a vet soon. It sounds like they are now in a place where they can be happy and loved with you. Sending you and them my best wishes x