• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Girls Still Bickering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotchopcavy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello everyone! My guinea pigs kiwi and Jennifer have not been getting along! They are still always bickering! There is always rumbling, mounting and other dominant behavior.. I don't know what to do! This has been going on for several months..

How old are Kiwi and Jennifer? Have you considered having them checked for hormonal issues/small growing ovarian cysts?

They are a bit young for for ovarian cysts, to be honest. These are more frequent in older sows. You would have to see a vet over them. Larger ovarian cysts can be felt, but it is more frequently the small, growing ones that can cause the hormonal/aggression problems. The majority of cysts are not causing any problems, and you do often not ge the full set of symptoms, if any, like thinning hair on the sides or crusty nipples.

Is the bickering on a daily basis or is it an off-on whenever one of them is in season? is it one girl that is causing it or are both doing it?

They are a bit young for for ovarian cysts, to be honest. These are more frequent in older sows. You would have to see a vet over them. Larger ovarian cysts can be felt, but it is more frequently the small, growing ones that can cause the hormonal/aggression problems. The majority of cysts are not causing any problems, and you do often not ge the full set of symptoms, if any, like thinning hair on the sides or crusty nipples.

Is the bickering on a daily basis or is it an off-on whenever one of them is in season? is it one girl that is causing it or are both doing it?
The bickering is on a Dailey basis but it get's worse when one is in season.. It started out just being Jennifer but now it is both of them..

If you are really worried about them not getting on, you can always do a short trial separation to see whether one girl is noticeably perking up when she is on her own or whether she wants to be back with her mate. That will tell you how your girls are feeling about their relationship. Fall-outs between girls are much rarer but that doesn't mean that all sow bonds are happy ones. :(

If you are really worried about them not getting on, you can always do a short trial separation to see whether one girl is noticeably perking up when she is on her own or whether she wants to be back with her mate. That will tell you how your girls are feeling about their relationship. Fall-outs between girls are much rarer but that doesn't mean that all sow bonds are happy ones. :(
Ok.. I might try that.. Thank you for all your help :)

i took Kiwi out of the cage for lap time and Jennifer ran around the cage.. She seems to be happier when she is alone.. But I can't have kiwi and Jennifer seperet but get a buddy for each.. I still live with my parents and they won't allow more than 2 pets. I would have to give Kiwi back to her previous owner. But she was living in a tiny pet store cage.. I don't know what to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back