Give me your best long-hair/skinny pig tips!

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I said no more piggies for a while but... there's a group near me in urgent need (owner suddenly physically unable to care for them) and I have the space to build up - more coroplast is on the way already. So I should be picking them up tomorrow. 😲

Three of them are typical short-haired/abyssinian mix piggies like I'm accustomed to, but two are texels and one is a skinny pig. (Yeah, that's six pigs.) Of course I've done a little reading already, but the internet is full of contradictory advice and I'd rather hear it from here. 😊 What's your best advice for the care & keeping of long hair (or no-hair!) piggies?

Temperature shouldn't be a problem with the skinny as I live in the desert and the house is always quite warm. I also have plenty of cozy hidey socks.

I don't count my piggies before they hatch but hopefully things will pan out! Wish me luck. 💚

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I have written a haircutting guide which I'm told is very good! Can't link in on this device but you will find it under Daily Guides. Maybe someone will be kind enough to link it in.

Featheryfriend

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh and I should mention... yes, I have a source of funds in mind for everybody to get their annual piggy checkup. ☺ And my fiancée is in school for a well-paid trade, so by the time we have geriatric pigs in need of additional vet care, we'll be set. 👍🏻 Didn't want to worry anybody.

Alisa3114

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 5 long haired girls and the best way I’ve found to keep their fur tip top is to keep their bum area and back legs trimmed short and around the sides so their fur is not dragging along the floor.