• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Giving Up A Pig And Getting Over The Loss Of A Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeak Dreams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi piggy owners! ,

i used to own 5 pigs but on Sunday i had to give a pig to my friend as she was biting and making my youngest guinea pig bleed.

she was always the quietest one but the most aggressive one she did bite me once when i took her out of the cage as it needed cleaning.

she would always pick a fight with one of the other pigs but especially the smallest pig called Precious.

so Precious was born 3 days after Peaches and just to let you know my 2 other pigs was bought pregnant without me realizing .

Bubbles , the mum of Precious did not look after her ( feeding her and washing her ) so we took Precious away from Bubbles and took her to Pebbles ( Peaches and her brother Nibbles' mum ) .
Nibbles , Peaches and Precious was all healthy and fine after that however we did give Nibbles to the friend who has Peaches at the moment because he was a boy.

my friend got 3 other guinea pigs and then one of the pigs ( from the same place i got my 3 pigs which 2 of them was pregnant ) turned out to be a girl and Nibbles ended up mating with her and getting her pregnant .

then my friends didn't separate the girl from Nibbles ( which i was very angry over ) leaving her to get pregnant AGAIN.
so then she had 4 babies ( but one of them went to her friends because they needed a guinea pig )

so know Peaches is with the babies and the mum however Peaches kicked the babies out of there 'floor' ( she has a 3 tiered cage ) leaving the mum and babies on the other floors ( she even had ago at their pigs ).

meanwhile my 4 pigs have gone all quiet and do not squeak anymore.
Are they missing the pig that had a fight with them until they drew blood ?
or are they just ' grieving her?'

should i go and get Peaches back so my pigs can squeak and be happy again or should i jus let them get over her.
right now i'm feelings sorry for Peaches , the babies and my pigs

HELP i don't know what to do . Maybe peaches would be better having a cage of her own or should i get her back and go to a rescue and match a pig with her and then they be cage mates.

I really don't know i just want the best for my pigs , my friends pigs and of cause Peaches.

Hi!

Could you please clarify some things here:
- How big is your set-up and how many piggies are you currently keeping in there?
- How old is Peaches now?
- How long had she been with that group in that formation before the incident happened?
- Where was the bleeding situated on the body? Was it just a scratch wound or a shallow bite like it can happen during dominance if the receiving piggy is not able to get out of the way quickly enough?

To be honest, I personally would never give a piggy of mine to that friend of yours again, not after what has happened.
There is a decent guinea pig rescue in Chelmsford. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Hi!

Could you please clarify some things here:
- How big is your set-up and how many piggies are you currently keeping in there?
- How old is Peaches now?
- How long had she been with that group in that formation before the incident happened?
- Where was the bleeding situated on the body? Was it just a scratch wound or a shallow bite like it can happen during dominance if the receiving piggy is not able to get out of the way quickly enough?

To be honest, I personally would never give a piggy of mine to that friend of yours again, not after what has happened.
There is a decent guinea pig rescue in Chelmsford. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

the set up is 100 cms long and it's got a plat form on the top ( however i'm getting this cage for them in the winter )

they are all going out in about a weeks time in a 3 tiered hutch until late September and there are the four pigs living together all around the age of one.

Peaches will be one August 7 th
and she has been in the group since birth .
the bite was only a shallow bite with a bit of dry blood and it was lower back , upper bottom just above the sweat gland .
Peaches is with the girls and if i find she has been mixing with the boys ( which i know she wouldn't do ) she will be coming straight home .
my pigs seem to be much happier and Peaches seems to be happier away from the other pigs on her own.
I still feel like she's safer with me , on a cage next to the other pigs where there is no boys or anything to harm her or any other pigs but i feel like that could be cruel.

I really don't know what to do i miss her just like i would with any other pet , friend , child .
If i was to get her back though i wouldn't know what to say since i did give her the pig in the first place , i guess i could say my pigs aren't happy but then if Peaches is happy she might think it's best if she keeps her.

I've also got to be careful with her because 1. she is a very good friend and secondly because she has my pigs when i go on holiday for free ... she also cuts their nails etc.

I have a sow who felt threatened by the presence of other sows. She was clearly uncomfortable. Things were harmonious for quite some time but eventually she became aggressive (through being uncomfortable in their presence) and attacked the nearest pig to her, which happened to be a youngster who couldn't defend herself.
I removed her. Like Peaches, my sow seemed happier on her own.
I did eventually get her a boar for a companion and this is something that she is happy with.

Occasionally you do get a pig who would rather be on her own than live with pigs she doesn't feel comfortable with.

It sound like your friend knows what she is doing in terms of piggy care. If you can step outside of yourself (figure of speech) and think of the way that she treats Peaches, are you happy with the care she gives? She could be fine, and you may be anxious purely because you miss her.

If you are really not comfortable with your friend keeping her then you could ask her if you could have another go at finding an arrangement for Peaches with you. It could be that Peaches simply hasn't found the right companion, and perhaps dating at a rescue may give her the opportunity to find a cage mate that she is happy with. Or it may confirm that she really does prefer her own space. If you want to go down that route perhaps you could discuss with your friend that you would like to try this, and see what she says. x

Last edited:
I had a sow who felt threatened by the presence of other sows. She was clearly uncomfortable. Things were harmonious for quite some time but eventually she became aggressive (though being uncomfortable in their presence) and attacked the nearest pig to her, which happened to be a youngster who couldn't defend herself.
I removed her. Like Peaches, my sow seemed happier on her own.
I did eventually get her a boar for a companion and this is something that she is happy with.

Occasionally you do get a pig who would rather be on her own than live with pigs she doesn't feel comfortable with.

It sound like your friend knows what she is doing in terms of piggy care. If you can step outside of yourself (figure of speech) and think of the way that she treats Peaches, are you happy with the care she gives? She could be fine, and you may be anxious purely because you miss her.

If you are really not comfortable with your friend keeping her then you could ask her if you could have another go at finding an arrangement for Peaches with you. It could be that Peaches simply hasn't found the right companion, and perhaps dating at a rescue may give her the opportunity to find a cage mate that she is happy with. Or it may confirm that she really does prefer her own space. If you want to go down that route perhaps you could discuss with your friend that you would like to try this, and see what she says. x
I was originally going to match her with a mate however my mum wasn't to keen on getting another pig ( or cage since my room isn't big ) i think she should stay with my friend i mean if she is happier then it's for the best , at least i can see her if i want too x

If you are happy with the way she's being kept then yes, I agree. She isn't happy with your other pigs so putting her back with the others probably wouldn't work well.

If you are happy with the way she's being kept then yes, I agree. She isn't happy with your other pigs so putting her back with the others probably wouldn't work well.
thank you for the opinion it's put my mind at ease .
I just wondered if you could help me with some medical problems i've been having with my pigs i've made 2 posts about it one is about a curling nail and the second one is one of my pigs squeaks loudly as if she is in pain or has been bitten however she isn't near any other pigs when she does it .
Has any of your pigs had the same trouble? there is more information on the threads i've made on it. if you've got any ideas what the squeaks could be or how to stop the nail from curling could you reply i'm just having a lot of piggy problems lately XD
xxxxx

I'll have a look, but I am not as knowledgeable as others here on medical issues. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back