• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Glass Water Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been reading about the ones you both have and some people have said they had difficulty with water coming out? How do you find yours?

Just been reading about the ones you both have and some people have said they had difficulty with water coming out? How do you find yours?

Every single water bottle I have ever tried leaks to a certain extent. However the glass ones last for years, but I found the plastic ones would clog up, fall out (from being too light and the piggies would play with the catches, the glass ones were heavier and more stable, the spring wraps around a little formed groove so it's very secure) or the seal would go causing it to leak prefusely (The glass bottle has a double ball bearing spout which is suppose to seal the water in better).

I still have to have a bowl under the bottle, but I do with all of them. This is just to catch the water that dribbles out when the guinea is finished and some air bubbles into the bottle.

This is my conclusion, it seems there are many mixed experiences. All I say is check the lid when you buy it, as one drop can result in the seal breaking. Just check inside for cracks in the plastic and rubber.

My girls also drink ALOT more water from these glass ones.

-Carma

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of getting one as it seems that nearly everyone's piggy drink more from them and this would be helpful for Gizmo. :) Shall have a look at the in p@h and compare the price with the eBay ones, thanks Claire for the link.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of getting one as it seems that nearly everyone's piggy drink more from them and this would be helpful for Gizmo. :) Shall have a look at the in p@h and compare the price with the eBay ones, thanks Claire for the link.

My last Guin was called Gizmo!

I had Maguai and Gizmo

-Carma

Glass is so much better for you than plastic - ditto human beings. Plastic has compounds that leech into the water - glass doesn't.

Yes, that's exactly why I wanted to move to glass ones, but I was so disappointed with the leaky glass bottle I ended up with! It just dripped constantly.

I have a glass one from pets at home. My girls don't use it anymore than the old one (basically they don't seem to drink anything:{) but mine doesn't leak at all and doesn't seem to get grimy like the plastic one did. Just need to make sure that the spout is pushed firmly in as I ended up with a wet foot when it fell out after I refilled it once.

Stopping plastic bottles from leaking

Some people have complained of leaking bottles. There is a way to reduce leakage with plastic bottles:

• Fill the bottle with water and put lid on
  • Hold the bottle spout up and squeeze some of the air out at the top by pressing in the sides of the bottle
  • While still sqeezing turn it the right way up (i.e. spout down)
  • Now stop squeezing and you will see bubbles from air being sucked up through the water
  • Attach to cage as normal
  • The slight vacuum helps with the leaking but does not stop it wetting the ball bearing in the spout for the piggies to drink.

It is not perfect but helps enormously.

My rabbits need a new water bottle so I was going to get them one today, think I will buy two of the Super Pet ones for the pigs and buns and see how I get on with them.

Thanks for this thread x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back