• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Glass water bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read somewhere that guinea pigs prefer to drink from glass water bottles rather than the plastic ones.

I have a guinea pig that has uti problems and I never used to see him drink much so I needed to see if this theory worked so I bought a superpet glass water bottle yesterday and it's true!

They have drunk way more water than usual, so I'm off soon to buy another one for my sows:))

Seriously? i've never heard that, mind you I haven't been a guineamum for long now... I would have thought that they would have chewed them. :| xx

I read it on a rescue site, apparently they don't like the taste that the plastic bottles leach?

The superpet ones are chew proof and they have a wider longer spout ( could also be why they drink more) so ideal for deep sided cages:))

My boars have drunk much more than they usually would today:))

This might be a stupid question.......but if they fall off the cage do they smash? Am I just being stupid rolleyes lol.

My previous piggie only used to drink from water bottles with the long spouts, he wouldn't drink from the normal ones too.

Ive brought glass ones from P@H, I find the bottle seems to stay cleaner. Not sure if they would smash mine are quite low to the ground so I wouldn't expect it to but the glass is quite thick. It also has a cute little duck as a bottle float.

My boys seem to prefer the glass bottles though they do drink from both. I have one superpet bottle and the other is plastic. I stood the glass bottle on a table not that long ago and I knocked it onto the carpet. It smashed into bits. I had to go and buy a new one.

my guineas have them and they do drink loads more, they are fab and brill for guineas with stones problems and other bladder problems I'm getting a big one for my bladder stone rabbit :)

They can fix on the inside or the outside,

The superpet one does have the duck that floats:)) and it comes with a hanging bracket and a spring tye which clips securely onto the cage so the bottle doesn't fall:))

Here is a pic

http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/chew-proof-water-bottle-12-oz.htm

It cost me around £5 from p@h but the way I see it if it helps flush out any build up in my gp's bladder to help prevent stones all the better:))

Thanks, I'll try that :) two of my boys don't drink much at the moment, perhaps this will encourage them

if guinea pigs get persistent bladder problems cystease can be brought and started at a dose of half a capsule diluted in 1ml water and given each day for life x

I bought one yesterday too! As i have Gizmo who isnt a very good drinker, so i desperately wanted him to drink more. Not sure if its a mad a huge difference yet as i only put in yesterday and i have been syringing alot of water too.

Hopefully he will drink more too. :)

They have a safe thing on them so if the spring clasp does break, it prevents it from falling. But the spring clasp is very secure so i cant see that it would fall, unless you didnt secure it properly.

I brought some glass bottles for my guineas, and I have also left a plastic one next to the glass one, and it appears that they all but one prefer the glass one.

I have bought my second glass water bottle today this time for my sows who were not drinking much from the pastic one and they love it!:))

Both have been drinking alot more today so it does prove the theory slightly:))

well, I think the glass one has a longer thicker spout than the plastic ones I have had, so they get more water out.

Plus glass doesn't leach out any taste perhaps the plastic ones do? I know normal plastic bottles we use start to break down and leach chemicals I heard so maybe thas what they taste?

Think the water tends to stay fresher too

Hmmm the spout on their old bottle was longer I think, you could be onto something about the leaching of chemicals or it staying fresher for longer.

Maybe they like watching the duck move down as they drink hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back