Gnawing Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavywavy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good gnawing toys that are tried & tested by their guinea pigs? Are they needed if piggies have plenty of hay, pellets & fresh veg?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good gnawing toys that are tried & tested by their guinea pigs? Are they needed if piggies have plenty of hay, pellets & fresh veg?
The silica in unlimited hay (which should make up to 80% of the daily food intake) is what is really needed to grind down the crucial back teeth and what the guts are mainly laid out for digesting. Front teeth are self-sharpening in a healthy piggy, so they don't need clipping or care.

Here are our diet advice and tested toy ideas:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-toys.43520/

Suze5202

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This was a carrot cottage. I only bought it last Monday but my three girls have destroyed it already. Think they like it though!

image.jpg

MomoMura

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a wooden house/hidey hole for them as well as a cute wooden rainbow bridge.. They love chewing on those

But they LOVE these toys made out of Timothy Hay. I bought them a tunnel, ball, and hidey hole made out of hay. They love love chewing on it. It's a bit pricier but it's made me and the piggies happy

Here are the Amazon links (as I live in Tokyo, I use Amazon Japan, but you can find something similar in your local pet shop or Amazon site ):

Toy 1

Toy 2

Terrible photo but you can see some of the toys I use plus scared piggies in a corner for their first day of floor time :P

Second day, they're still skittish in a hilarious way (there are bigger hidey holes, idk why they chose that one LOL)

Last edited:

Pinguxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this thread I was just about to ask the same! I have a kebab type thing with wooden blocks on that my two are not bothered with at all! But they seem to like sitting on top of their plastic house and chewing the top, teeth marks shown in pic! I was wondering if this was normal behaviour and ok? Or do I need to get them something else to gnaw on! They have a log bridge that they like to chew bits off too but do seem to like chomping on the house! image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.