• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Going well so far

Tommywing5b7

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I thought I'd update on how these three are doing. Scarlett and Nutmeg seem to be very friendly, and pom pom seems to get on with everyone.

They're all very harmonious so far, I guess because they were already a group.

I must say I'm comply hooked on just watching them interact with each other. They seem to go have some food, then come back and have a meeting about it. It's adorable and fascinating in equal measure.

As far as I can tell there's only been a bit of dominance behavior (low rumbling sounds and chasing) but nothing to aggressive.

I'll do a full cage clean on Saturday, (have tidied up every day) and I'll attempt a weigh in thr following week I reckon.

P.s. I'm told they're about 4 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_20190513_203548.jpg
    IMG_20190513_203548.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190513_192805.jpg
    IMG_20190513_192805.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190513_060620.jpg
    IMG_20190513_060620.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 26
They are stunning little piggies.

Thanks for the update on them I hope to hear more and see more of them in the future

Aw, they are little smashers, aren’t they easy to fall in love with and amazing to see all those little interactions between them, enjoy your piggies, they are lovely x

Yes it really is. It seems that Scarlett definitely is the boss. She goes and settles any disputes. Also I saw my first very first case of guinea pig zoomies. They were belting round the cage leaping and hurling themselves everywhere 😂

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I took the piggies out to clean their cage a bit and put them in one of the playpens you recommend. It was all fine and dandy but I noticed that when I went to replace the hidey from the cage I put in the playpen, it has a mucus like substance in it. I hope it wasn't runny poo or anything, due to fear? It looked a bit like phlegm.

Anyway they are all in fine fettle, still a bit nervous but still very happy as far as I can tell.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I took the piggies out to clean their cage a bit and put them in one of the playpens you recommend. It was all fine and dandy but I noticed that when I went to replace the hidey from the cage I put in the playpen, it has a mucus like substance in it. I hope it wasn't runny poo or anything, due to fear? It looked a bit like phlegm.

Anyway they are all in fine fettle, still a bit nervous but still very happy as far as I can tell.

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Thanks

If they are girls, then it is more likely to come from the reproductive tract, but they are frankly too young for problems associated with that. Unfortunately mucus is rather rare; it is hopefully just a one off.

If they are girls, then it is more likely to come from the reproductive tract, but they are frankly too young for problems associated with that. Unfortunately mucus is rather rare; it is hopefully just a one off.

Thanks! Like I say they seem fine so I'm not worried. A lot of bum wiggling from Scarlett this morning, low chuttering too occasionally. I guess this is her asserting her dominance.

Also, I haven't had one of the girls wheek at all. Is that normal? I will have had them a week on Saturday.

Some piggies are quiet, especially if they are scared - they don't want to draw attention to themselves. If you've only had yours a week, she will still be a bit spooked. Develop a routine with your pigs so she knows when she can expect treats and nuggets etc. A few months of that and she will probably be reminding you loudly if you are late with the veggies!

Some piggies are quiet, especially if they are scared - they don't want to draw attention to themselves. If you've only had yours a week, she will still be a bit spooked. Develop a routine with your pigs so she knows when she can expect treats and nuggets etc. A few months of that and she will probably be reminding you loudly if you are late with the veggies!

Thanks. They're getting braver every day 😄

Also, I haven't had one of the girls wheek at all. Is that normal? I will have had them a week on Saturday.

Many piggies are quiet; that is perfectly normal. They just don't make good video fodder for social media. ;)

It is important that you keep in your mind at all times that what you see and read online is generally not a normal representation.
The videos you tend to see are not balanced but have a bias towards extremes - all the 'cute' stuff that specifically panders to a narrow human viewers' concept of an ideal instant human-centred animated snuggly toy pet or to our human sense of fun and at the other end shows abusive situations that frankly should never happen.
When looking up health issues you will inevitably get all the horror stories of misdiagnoses, complications and bad reactions but not the MUCH larger percentage of success stories because those are taken for granted when they happen and are not worth posting about unless they promote a miracle cure against the odds, which in many cases won't work for others...
Even on this forum you'll get this imbalance to some extent as we attract a higher amount of people with problems looking for solutions and finding us. And our members happily showing off their piggy successes in the chat section.
We have to constantly try and counterbalance/re-check that against our own long term personal experiences to give a more appropriate view when advising.

Guinea pigs are much more than you think, and they are not exactly what you think. They are a species of long domesticated farm animals with their own complex interaction, their own social needs and a much wider range of personalities and behaviours than you expect from what is sadly still far too much seen as a one-dimensional 'easy' children's pet. Once you leave that behind, you will discover a fascinating world that is much richer and interesting than you would have ever dreamed. Because they are a social species that is wired to live in groups, they are very communicative, but that doesn't mean that every pig is a shouter! You get the same wide range in personalities as you get in humans; and don't deceive yourself: piggies are no less complex when it comes to getting along with others than we humans! The longer I have them in my life and the more I find out about them, the more they are like tiny people in fur coats to me. ;)
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

Many piggies are quiet; that is perfectly normal. They just don't make good video fodder for social media. ;)

It is important that you keep in your mind at all times that what you see and read online is generally not a normal representation.
In videos you tend to see are not balances but have a bias towards extremes - all the 'cute' stuff that specifically panders to a narrow human viewers' concept of an ideal instant animated snuggly toy pet or to our human sense of fun and at the other end shows abusive situations that frankly should never happen.
When looking up health issues you will inevitably get all the horror stories of misdiagnosis, complications and bad reactions but not the MUCH larger percentage of success stories because those are taken for granted when they happen and are not worth posting about unless they promote a miracle cure against the odds, which in many cases won't work for others...
Even on this forum you'll get this imbalance to some extent as we attract a certain amount of people with problems looking for solutions and finding us. And our members happily showing off their piggies in the chat section.
We have to constantly try and counterbalance/re-check that against our own long term personal experiences to give a more appropriate view when advising.

Guinea pigs are much more than you think, and they are not exactly what you think. They are a species of long domesticated farm animals with their own complex interaction, their own social needs and a much wider range of personalities and behaviours than you expect from what is sadly still far too much seen as a one dimensional 'easy' children's pet. Once you leave that behind, you will discover a fascinating world that is much richer and interesting than you would have ever dreamed. Because they are a social species that is wired to live in groups, they are very communicative, but that doesn't mean that every pig is a shouter! You get the same wide range in personalities as you get in humans; and don't deceive yourself: piggies are no less complex when it comes to getting along with others than we humans! The longer I have them in my life and the more I find out about them, the more they are like tiny people in fur coats to me. ;)
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

This made for very interesting reading, thank you!

Here are their stats!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190517-185503.png
    Screenshot_20190517-185503.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 21
We got them all out today, all pretty relaxed apart from the catching part. But that will get better the more they trust us. They're so spoilt it's ridiculous 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20190520_172843.jpg
    IMG_20190520_172843.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 11
Back