• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Good 5ft 2 Level Hutches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I am keeping my piggies in a garage with heating and I am looking for a 5ft or bigger 2 level hutch for my two girlies. My budget is £100 but any links or suggestions very welcome!
Thanks!

The Bluebell hideaway is a favourite with a few of us on here Emily. It's from pets at home and is just under £100, easy to build and just short of 5ft long :)

I actually have that one but I am not keen on quality.
But can't moan as was used for rabbits who were very keen chewers before and I am the third person to use it plus I got it free!
After a good disinfect it was okay but has a missing leg, ladder has chewed rungs and nails poking out, slight holes in base and top level very wonky and not stable enough to put piggies on.

Aww, it doesn't sound like it's had an easy life! Have you tried contacting The Hutch Man? He may be able to build you one?

I have but his have turned out to be too expensive. :(
My parents want me to put them in the hutch I have described to you with lots of hay, insulation and a waterproof hutch cover. It is also in the garage which is right next to the house but do you think it will be warm enough?
We haven't got a microwave as have moved house 3 weeks ago and I have tried to convince my Mum to buy a cheap tesco one as we only use it for the heat pad.:(

I think they will be fine. You could always put a duvet under cover if it gets really cold. A garage is sheltered too and they will have lots of hay. A heat pad would be nice but if not them some warm water in a bottle wrapped up on a towel. It would have to be checked regularly though so it doesn't go cold and freeze and then they haven't chewed it.

Referring back to the bluebell, I have previously found it a great quality hutch, (with Lino flooring) which keeps well.
Also the scratch and Newton thermal/rain cover prolongs the life and quality of the hutch. I think the bluebell price is a bargain.

The only thing is my parents want to keep the hutch we have so they would see no point in buying the bluebell again!

Hmm, that's a difficult one then. Is the bluebell you have unusable?

Well, it has several holes only the bottom level is usable and I want my piggies to have the biggest hutch possible.

Could your parents help you fix up the old bluebell? It would probably be fine with a bit of TLC and a lot cheaper, if they aren't willing to buy another bluebell. Other than that it's shopping around. Pet's at home do others but not as big for the price.

Oh well, that's fair enough! :)

I like the first one, but the only problem is you can only count is as a 1 layered hutch as if they are in the garage the floor could be too cold for them to go down onto the second layer, unless you found a way to insulate the floor or have it up on something so they aren't touching the cold floor, if you get my meaning.

I'm not ken on fixing up the old bluebell as would cost quite a lot as literally falling to pieces!
Do these look okay?
http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches/extra_large_hutches/228897
http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches/extra_large_hutches/313807
The first one I'm not sure if there is much space on the top level, as of course you may want run/grass area a break once in a while.

The second hutch is ok. :) It is within the recommended size.

With the first hutch I would put a layer of insulation under it and then some carpet, newspaper and maybe vetbed or a different bedding on top.
How many piggies would the larger hutch hold?

Hmm, I'm not sure to be honest. I don't think i'd put more than two in it due to the top layer not being so big!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back