• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Good alternatives to burgess

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have been feeding burgess excel blackcurrant and oregano to my 5 piggies and they love it, the thng is it's now over £5 for a 2.5kg bag and they get through a bag a week.

I would buy it in bulk but they don't do a bigger bag. Can anyone recommend good pellets that don't break the bank thanks!:))

I have 2 bags of this that i could sell to you for less than £3 a bag as i got a special offer, only problem is getting them to you. Its a shame your not closer.

Mine really liked the Wagg Pellets as they are little compared to Burgess, but I found it hard to get hold of in my area :(

You can get 10kgs from UK Pet Supplies for £17.98 (inc delivery) which works out pretty reasonable. You can buy a 2.5 kg for £4 but when you add on the delivery it's a lot more expensive.

Just found another site called Petmeds.co.uk it's £11.76 for 10 kgs and £2.54 shipping so a bargainous £14.30 for 10kgs :))

They sell a 4kg bag for about £9.49 in the normal excel in PAH.
Otherwise I don't know about a cheap pellet food, Wagg do a pellet one: http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/products.aspx?productid=13 which I'm assuming is cheap as you get it in supermarkets. But not sure of the quality..

Thanks for your help everyone:))

Didn't realise they did a 4kg bag of normal burgess pellets, may change over to them as I can store a 4kg bag but not the biggest ones.

I use p@h pellets; they are not that different from Burgess Excel since my lot went off Burgess.

i mix the blackcurrant and oregano with a higher proportion of the regular flavour (as you can get larger bags cheaper) and a little Wagg muesli to make it all go further and give them some variety, the don't cherry pick but eat a little of all of it.

I use p@h pellets; they are not that different from Burgess Excel since my lot went off Burgess.

My lot won't eat Burgess, but am in the process of switching them to P@H nuggets (am fed up of chucking away meusli bits, since new year they have all got fussy!) and so far they are enjoying them!

The huge bags work out quite good value.

I had exactly the same problem! I started off with just 3, which wasn't to bad. Bt now I have 7 in barely lasts a few weeks :(

I buy the Burgess nuggets (in an orange bag) you can get the norm small size, a med. bag is around £9 :) and then once or twice a week I give them the blackcurrent ones as a treat hehe

I'm in a similar situation as my pigs love the blackcurrant and oregano, but I wish they did it in a bigger size!

I think they find the normal Burgess pellets to be too big, and Winston won't eat it at all.

I'm interested to see some of your piggies also turn their noses up at Burgess.

I feed my rabbits on Burgess and have done for years, so I bought the guinea pig version. They came with loads of food so I have mixed it up, they tend to leave the Burgess. The food they came with was a mixture, I prefer to use a pellet feed so they don't selectively feed.

Will they get used to it, or once they don't like something that is it?
When this food runs out, if they only get straight Burgess will they eat it.

I'm still very new to owning Guinea pigs (3 weeks), but loving ever minute of it.

Regards

Sheena

they may change and come round to it, like us they have phases of hwat they eat. keep at it if not you may have to find one they like :))

I've just switched all my guinea pigs onto Wagg Optimum, it's £10.99 for a 10kg bag from feedem.co.uk. They were all on Excel but at £17 a bag it just got too expensive to buy 2 of them every couple of weeks. They love the Wagg food though can't believe how well they've taken to it. Babies prefer the Excel nuggets at the moment though.

I've just switched the 2 rabbits onto Wagg too, I got that on offer at £1.15 for 2.5kg bag again at feedem.

I must look into this Waag then, I can't say I've noticed it before.
I guess I'm blinkered to Burgess's from keeping rabbits lol.

I am wondering if it's the size of the nuggets putting them off.

I might do a scout around and see if I can get some trial packets to find one they love.

Do you have any idea who makes the P@H Nuggets?
I've tried googling but nothing come back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back