• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Good cage setup?

frodoandsam

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two male guinea pigs, frodo and sam and on their cage has a large towel on the bottom and a litter box with carefresh under their hay rack, it also has two bendy bridges as hides and a large bendy bridge going up to a ramp that has nothing on it. I spot clean the cage everyday when they are having floor time. That is their cage:IMG_5109.JPG

Hiya and welcome to the forum! :wel:

What size cage do you have? It's difficult to tell from the picture, but two guinea pigs need a cage that's at least 60cm by 120cm, although bigger is always better. It's recommended that a pair of boars be housed in a cage that's 2ft by 6ft in order to help keep the peace and reduce the chances of arguments breaking out.

You may also struggle to keep the cage clean with just one layer of towel as it'll get wet from urine very quickly. When using a material bedding, you should use a wicking layer and then an absorbent layer underneath. For example, most people will use fleece on top of a towel. The idea is that the urine soaks through the fleece and is absorbed by the towel underneath, leaving the fleece dry on top.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask away! :)

Definately way too small for these babies. I did the same thing at first too because the place I got mine from weren't very knowledgeable.

About C&C Cages - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs
How to Make a Guinea Pig Cage - Cubes and Coroplast (C&C)

This is the way to make these cages and the size requirements. Go through the posts here when you can; there are tons of other pics to give you an idea of how these are set up. The cost is not so much and it's a lot of fun making one that you like and your babies will be very happy with. I guarantee you will have some major happy piggies when you change it.

newcage.jpg024.jpgIMG_20180414_142526.jpg

The first pic is what I started with after making the first one from a small cage for my two but added and embellished based on piggie preferences, etc. Anything is fine and doesn't need to be fancy, honestly. Just what can make the boys happy.

Definately way too small for these babies. I did the same thing at first too because the place I got mine from weren't very knowledgeable.

About C&C Cages - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs
How to Make a Guinea Pig Cage - Cubes and Coroplast (C&C)

This is the way to make these cages and the size requirements. Go through the posts here when you can; there are tons of other pics to give you an idea of how these are set up. The cost is not so much and it's a lot of fun making one that you like and your babies will be very happy with. I guarantee you will have some major happy piggies when you change it.

View attachment 87115View attachment 87116View attachment 87117

The first pic is what I started with after making the first one from a small cage for my two but added and embellished based on piggie preferences, etc. Anything is fine and doesn't need to be fancy, honestly. Just what can make the boys happy.
Is there a way to put a top on the cage? I have cats that can't be kept out of my room as I don't have a door and am afraid they might do something if they get in the cage..? nevermind, just saw the cat-proofing cage.. thanks

Back