• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Goodbye, Elvira

Kithri

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Today, my husband and I made the excruciating decision for our beloved Elvira to be put down. We think she was about four years old, and we'd had her for just over a year, having adopted her from a local shelter that specializes in rabbits and guinea pigs.

We noticed Elvira was ill around Valentine's Day... she seemed perfectly normal except that she had some trouble breathing. She ate and drank like always and ran around to her heart's content. Over the course of two months we tried for different medications... for a possible URI, for pneumonia, for allergies, and for her heart, but nothing helped. It was made more difficult by the fact that the vet scared her so badly that it was impossible even to get her temperature. They were afraid of sedating her for an x-ray out of fear that it would give her a heart attack. Over the past two weeks, she lost a significant amount of weight. The vet told us she lost nearly half of her body weight. She still continued to eat, but it was as if she was starving - always begging for food even if we'd just given them veggies an hour ago. When we took her in today, we knew it was time.

Elvira was our feisty little fighter right up until the very end.

26961678_10213246118761839_8007669151098501462_o.jpg

It sounds like she lived a very nice life with you and that you tried everything you possibly could. She's such a beautiful pig. She will be missed very much ❤

I am so sorry for your loss. It is clear how much you loved her. She was a beauty. Hugs to you. Popcorn free Elvira x

I’m so sorry the lost Elvira, she was a beauty. Sleep tight little lady x

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby, you really did everything you could. Huge hugs to you at this sad time, please try and remember what a fantastic life you gave her.

Sleep well pretty one

RIP Elvira
x x

So sorry for your loss.
You’ve made the hardest decision any of us make for our piggies but it is a gift of love.
Be gentle with yourselves as you grieve for Elvira

Thank you for your kind words, everyone. Our other three girls seem to be okay - luckily, they have each other. They seem to be taking it better than my husband at me, at any rate. ;)

Hello.
My condolences on the loss of Elvira, I’m going through my loss as well, I lost Broly on 4/3/19, very sudden and unexpectedly. He was fine, recovering from a very very very minor surgery he had on 4/1, the next night he was struggling to breath and breathing through his mouth. So we rushed him to the emergency vet, they kept him overnight and he passed at 12:41pm. It hurts seeing his empty cage and house. His hay is where he last left it along with his pellet bowl. But, he should be coming home soon (currently being cremated) ...
I know she was deeply loved and will be missed. Who knows, maybe her and Broly are zooming and pop corning together. He as well was my feisty little guy.

RIP Elvira

Back