• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Goodbye :(

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
(This post is more emotional than usual)

Today, I’ve had to say goodbye to my beloved Berty. He hasn’t died, but if you’ve seen my recent posts, we’ve had to give him back to the rescue due to dominant behavior (extreme) with his brother. We didn’t have the room, so we had to make a difficult decision to give one away. I cried all the way there, and back and I’m still sobbing while typing. It was hard, but it wasn’t what I wanted, it was what he needed. Teddy is getting neutered on September 18th (closest date) and we’ll be getting him a sow. The rescue is going to update us on Berty. I really hope he has a good life.

I’m so sorry. You should be proud of yourself for putting his needs first, it’s hardest thing but shows you have a great deal of love for Berty.
Keep us posted on how everything goes. We look forward to welcoming Teddy’s new wife to the forum!

Oh my heart breaks for you! I had a piggy for just two weeks and had to give her back as she wasn't going to bond with my group and that was such a hard thing to do. Be kind to yourself

I’m so sorry you have had to take Berty back to the rescue but you are doing the kindest thing for both of them. This will give them both chance of a new partner that they will love.

I’m so sorry you’ve had to take him back. You’ve done the right thing for you and both piggies. But I know how hard it is. Over the years I have fallen in love with several piggies who just wouldn’t bond with mine (Ralph is a particularly difficult character) and I’ve had to take the decision to hand them back. Sometimes it just isn’t meant to be. Please be gentle with yourself.

I am so sorry ... I am going through exactly the same (my thread is "The ongoing story of Bella and Melvin" in the 'Chat' channel), as I'm having to rehome my lovely Bella, due to my own illness, only weeks after Melvin's death.
I truly feel for you ... it is so heart-breaking handing them over, even when you know you have no other choice. But you are giving him the opportunity of a new life in a new home ... sometimes letting go is the most loving thing we can do for our beloved piggies. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to grieve for Berty. Holding you in my thoughts ❤

So sorry that you have had to make such a difficult decision.
Even when you know it is right, the loss still wrenches your heart.
It’s a bereavement so allow yourself time to grieve for your loss.

I am so sorry ... I am going through exactly the same (my thread is "The ongoing story of Bella and Melvin" in the 'Chat' channel), as I'm having to rehome my lovely Bella, due to my own illness, only weeks after Melvin's death.
I truly feel for you ... it is so heart-breaking handing them over, even when you know you have no other choice. But you are giving him the opportunity of a new life in a new home ... sometimes letting go is the most loving thing we can do for our beloved piggies. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to grieve for Berty. Holding you in my thoughts ❤
I am so sorry to hear! I’m sorry for your loss, and sorry to hear you have to give your piggy up. It’s awful, especially as you get so attached to them. I hope things are okay and thank you.

Thank you to everyone. I had Berty (and Teddy still) for 3 months today actually. Everytime I look at his cage, I expect him to pop out. But I’m telling myself that he’ll be much happier now. I have gotten so attached to both of them. But Berty was always the harmful one, Teddy had a lot of slits in his ears and has been scratched on the face twice. The rescue is trying to pair him with another male, but if that fails, he’ll be neutered and have a sow. And again, thank you everyone

Thank you to everyone. I had Berty (and Teddy still) for 3 months today actually. Everytime I look at his cage, I expect him to pop out. But I’m telling myself that he’ll be much happier now. I have gotten so attached to both of them. But Berty was always the harmful one, Teddy had a lot of slits in his ears and has been scratched on the face twice. The rescue is trying to pair him with another male, but if that fails, he’ll be neutered and have a sow. And again, thank you everyone
I'm glad the rescue have a plan for Berty, and hope that they can give you happy news in time, of Berty with a new wife in a happy home!

oh that must be so hard. We are temporary guinea pig parents looking after the local primary school piggies during lockdown. We are so attached to them now after 5 months. We are hoping not to give them back as we think it would be wrong for them. I never wanted pets. Certainly never planned on guinea pigs. But these ones found us and have certainly taken over our hearts. Piggies seem to do that. You have done the best thing for both your piggies and once you know he is settled in a new life you will feel happier.

So sorry you’re going through this. I’m going through the same with my boys over in ‘Argument injuries and a possible snotty nose‘ - I know, catchy title right!

I’m taking one back to the rescue on Friday and am devastated. I’m sure like me you’ve received advice from this lovely forum and you know you’re doing the right thing in your heart, that’s what makes you a good piggy parent. We forum folk understand and we’re here, keep going!

oh that must be so hard. We are temporary guinea pig parents looking after the local primary school piggies during lockdown. We are so attached to them now after 5 months. We are hoping not to give them back as we think it would be wrong for them. I never wanted pets. Certainly never planned on guinea pigs. But these ones found us and have certainly taken over our hearts. Piggies seem to do that. You have done the best thing for both your piggies and once you know he is settled in a new life you will feel happier.
I would feel that being 'school pets' are not in guinea pigs best interests ... all the guinea pig rescues I know will not rehome to schools, due to the guinea pigs being handled by many differing people, going to a succession of differing homes over weekends/holidays, not having one consistent person monitoring them so emergent health issues possibly being 'missed', risk of cold/heat in the hutch when no-one present at school, being alone in the evenings etc ... it's a poor quality life for them ...
Could you suggest that you instead take the guinea pigs in 'visiting'? Guinea pigs travel well, and then the school pupils will still have contact and can learn about them and their care, but they will continue to have a much better quality life at home with you? Just my thoughts ...
I really hope you are able to keep them!

So sorry you’re going through this. I’m going through the same with my boys over in ‘Argument injuries and a possible snotty nose‘ - I know, catchy title right!

I’m taking one back to the rescue on Friday and am devastated. I’m sure like me you’ve received advice from this lovely forum and you know you’re doing the right thing in your heart, that’s what makes you a good piggy parent. We forum folk understand and we’re here, keep going!
I'm so sorry to hear this ... it's heart-breaking to have to give them up. Sending much empathy ❤

Back