• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Got our pig home, when should I...

Magpie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi
So 4pm today we welcomed our GP into our home. He's only 10 weeks old and just been nutered so I am on the look out for a female for him. They had no others in the rescue.

Anyway getting to the point - I want to let him settle, I've been talking softly to him on a low level. He's mainly hiding but come out when we put salad out.

When should I get in the cage with him to allow him to get used to me?
When can I pick him up?
I understand it could take ages for him to build up trust so I don't want to ruin it!
I'm currently just sat next to the cage not paying much attention and he just ran from one box to the other lol.

Pic is him (it's the rescue pic as I'm worried about scaring him with my camera!)
Any idea what type he is? Screenshot_20210227_194742.jpg

Thanks

Gorgeous piggy.

Its best to let him settle in for a week or so before trying to do any handling. It could take weeks to months, sometimes years before they become used to it. Most don’t like being picked up, so you will need to let him be your guide.
Its best to start offering food from your hand while he is in his cage. Once they accept that, then you are winning their trust. It took one of mine six weeks to take food from me, but it took the other a year and a half. Slow and steady wins the race!

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Hi
So 4pm today we welcomed our GP into our home. He's only 10 weeks old and just been nutered so I am on the look out for a female for him. They had no others in the rescue.

Anyway getting to the point - I want to let him settle, I've been talking softly to him on a low level. He's mainly hiding but come out when we put salad out.

When should I get in the cage with him to allow him to get used to me?
When can I pick him up?
I understand it could take ages for him to build up trust so I don't want to ruin it!
I'm currently just sat next to the cage not paying much attention and he just ran from one box to the other lol.

Pic is him (it's the rescue pic as I'm worried about scaring him with my camera!)
Any idea what type he is? View attachment 169072

Thanks

Hi!

Please be aware that you need to wait 6 weeks until a neutered boar is safe to be in the company of sows. Neutering removes the testicles but not the tubes runninf from the testicles to the penis so you have to wait until any potential semen in there has died off.
The little baby in my avatar is the surprise legacy of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine), just to show that it can actually happen as late as that. Our 6 weeks recommendation follows RSPCA and good welfare standard rescue.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Since he is currently single, please officially welcome him into your herd and reassure him that you love him (see our piggy whispering course); this immediately takes you out of the predator category and gives him a piggy group identity.
Please take the time to read our settling and making friends information to learn how arrival looks from the guinea pig perspective, how guinea pig instincts operate and how you can best work around them and how to 'piggy whisper' so you do not have to wait until your piggy has figured out humans.
Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

What you can do for him and need to be aware of while he is on his own:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

This link is just one chapter of our much more comprehensive practical and informative New Owners guides collection, which you may want to bookmark, read and re-read at need; it also contains a step-by-step bonding guide with plenty of pictures and videos, boar care etc.: Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

It is impossible to tell from the able of your picture whether you new boy is a short-hair smooth (UK)/ American (US) or whether he is a crested with a rosette on the top of his head. You can find an illustrated breeds guide link in our New Owners guide collection if you want to learn more about guinea pig breeds and coat colours.

Hi!

Please be aware that you need to wait 6 weeks until a neutered boar is safe to be in the company of sows. Neutering removes the testicles but not the tubes runninf from the testicles to the penis so you have to wait until any potential semen in there has died off.
The little baby in my avatar is the surprise legacy of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post-op boar (not one of mine), just to show that it can actually happen as late as that. Our 6 weeks recommendation follows RSPCA and good welfare standard rescue.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Since he is currently single, please officially welcome him into your herd and reassure him that you love him (see our piggy whispering course); this immediately takes you out of the predator category and gives him a piggy group identity.
Please take the time to read our settling and making friends information to learn how arrival looks from the guinea pig perspective, how guinea pig instincts operate and how you can best work around them and how to 'piggy whisper' so you do not have to wait until your piggy has figured out humans.
Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

What you can do for him and need to be aware of while he is on his own:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

This link is just one chapter of our much more comprehensive practical and informative New Owners guides collection, which you may want to bookmark, read and re-read at need; it also contains a step-by-step bonding guide with plenty of pictures and videos, boar care etc.: Settling In And Making Friends With Guinea Pigs - A Guide

It is impossible to tell from the able of your picture whether you new boy is a short-hair smooth (UK)/ American (US) or whether he is a crested with a rosette on the top of his head. You can find an illustrated breeds guide link in our New Owners guide collection if you want to learn more about guinea pig breeds and coat colours.
Thank you, luckily I am aware to wait 6 weeks, I'll also be putting them side by side in different cages before bonding etc.

That's all very helpful thank you, I shall read all of this. :-)

10 weeks seems quite young for a boar to be neutered, he must be a precocious little lad! Hope you can find him a companion soon :nod:

He is a little beauty! 💕

When you say 'just been neutered...'? Was it very recent? Although handling will freak him out a bit at this point you might have to check on his wound to make sure he is healing OK and not nibbling any stitches. Perhaps ask the rescue about how often they would be checking if he were still there? And about which suitable bedding or fabric to keep him on until he is fully healed - if the wound is 'wet' bits can get stuck in it.

Looking forward to hearing all about his new adventures!

He is a little beauty! 💕

When you say 'just been neutered...'? Was it very recent? Although handling will freak him out a bit at this point you might have to check on his wound to make sure he is healing OK and not nibbling any stitches. Perhaps ask the rescue about how often they would be checking if he were still there? And about which suitable bedding or fabric to keep him on until he is fully healed - if the wound is 'wet' bits can get stuck in it.

Looking forward to hearing all about his new adventures!
It was done on the 19th Feb and had the all clear from the vet.

:wub::wub::wub:It’s not standard in the U.K. to neuter boars before their testicles descend. Have you seen the scar?

Are you going to take him back for bonding or contact other rescues?

:wub::wub::wub:It’s not standard in the U.K. to neuter boars before their testicles descend. Have you seen the scar?

Are you going to take him back for bonding or contact other rescues?
I've been contacting rescues already but so far nothing. They only have males and I'm under the impression we shouldn't get a male? I've also asked them to keep us in mind, while I'll be checking everyday. Also been given advice to try and get the same size in case of bullying. I'm only going by the rescues advice

It’s not about size but character compatibility. Whether they’re the same or different size won’t make a difference if they don’t like each other. I wouldn’t rule out boar bonding at all. There are several on here with bonded boars and I’m one of them. They’re given a bad rep.

Whatever the case may be, I would have it confirmed that he’s been neutered. If he has there should be a scar and shaved belly. And some sort of vet notes. Is he on any medication?

Remember that single piggies aren’t likely to be put on their websites simply because they won’t adopt out singles - unless someone has one to bond them with. You should email them (near and far) to let them know you’ve got a single.

It’s not about size but character compatibility. Whether they’re the same or different size won’t make a difference if they don’t like each other. I wouldn’t rule out boar bonding at all. There are several on here with bonded boars and I’m one of them. They’re given a bad rep.

Whatever the case may be, I would have it confirmed that he’s been neutered. If he has there should be a scar and shaved belly. And some sort of vet notes. Is he on any medication?
Yes I have all the vets notes and the medication he was on.
Okay ill think about same sex :-)

Absolutely no problems with keeping two males provided they have character compatibility - but character compatibility is vital to any bond regardless of their sex, so while a boar/sow pair tends to be more stable, then they can still fail in the beginning just as a same sex pair can. Bullying and fighting only occurs if two piggies don’t like each other and can’t form a hierarchy.
I have a 3 year old boar pair myself.
Of course, two boars need a larger space than a boar/sow pair.

...and I shouldn't say it in case you get addicted, but if you have a big enough enclosure a single boar can be bonded with a pair of girls so you get a trio whereas you can't try this with two boars. Guinea-pigs can be very moreish 😉

A note of warning here though - this is what I tried with my chap and one of the girls hates his guts so they are neighbours and we had to look again for a friend. If the dominant girl doesn't accept him that's that. In lockdown I was not in the position to take him 'dating' so the girls were actually delivered to my house by the rescue.... and now we have four guinea pigs. If you have a chance to 'date' at the rescue they can choose their own companion x

Good luck little chap... I wonder what your name will be! 💕

Welcome to the forum.
Your boy is gorgeous.
Hope you can find him a suitable companion soon - it’s been more challenging during lockdown.
You’ve already been given lots of advice, so all I will add is that we do love pictures so post as many as you want to.
Hope you enjoy being part of the forum

He's gorgeous. I hope you manage to find a friend for him soon - bet he'll be more confident when he has the security and company of his own kind. He's super sweet. All the best with your piggies adventures.

Back