GP memory span

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is the memory span of piggies known? The reason why I’m asking is that Ronnie & Scottie who I adopted from a rescue this month had two failed families . I have no idea how they were treated, whether they were handled correctly etc. They are doing great but I wonder whether piggies could suffer from PTSD for future reference . Obviously piggies know when food is potentially on the horizon but is this more instinct and habitual . Also does anyone know about any online courses which teach an in-depth knowledge e.g anatomy and physiology. I’ve been an owner for 6 years but I’d like to advance my knowledge. Obviously this forum has been a god send and I wish I’d found it when I adopted my first pair. I’m just interested in finding out as much as I can

Bradshaw Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would like to think that they do have memories (at least the happy ones - hopefully). I think learnt behaviours as a result of poor treatment (e.g. fear) will always be with them, as in most animals.
they can however, definitely come round from it with lots of love, but it takes time and patience.
Piggies definitely live for the moment and not in the past, so filling their lives with lots of love now is what matters the most 😊💕