Gp Tricks?

Brady Johnson

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum and the GP lifestyle since I found a couple of these furry little dogs roaming around my neighborhood this weekend. Anyway I showed them to my cousin Ronnie who showed me some GP tricks over on a site called Worldstar and I've been working tirelessly for the last 15 or 20 minutes to teach my little furrbulls some but so far all they've done is use the bathroom on my mom's rug which is going to be a big problem if I can't train them to use the bowl I set out for them in their cage. My mom raeally doesn't like Meatball and Meatball II (that's what I named my GPs) so I feel like if I could teach them some useful tricks to show her (sit, roll over, fetch newspaper) and get them to use the bathroom I set up for them in their cage (can they close the door for privacy? can they learn that?) my mom would warm up to them.

What are your favorite GP tricks and how did you tech them?

Wesley Tovar

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Cavy! That is really neat. Please share any training tips you have!

I heard pigs have great senses of smell similar to dogs. I figured if they can train those dogs to smell cancer and stuff, I could train mine to help my grandpa know when the milk goes bad since his nose doesn’t work like it used to in the good ol' days. I left old milk with Mrs. Piggy, off and on, and would give him a treat when he would go near the milk. He still didn’t help my grandpa. Probably would have helped if his cage was close to the fridge or something. It’s hard to say.

Reenie

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
If you spend a bit of time on it you can train them to actually go and BUY the milk for your granddad. In fact, are you sure they were lost, and not just out on an errand from their previous home?
Seriously though, some people have trained guinea pigs to do the odd simple trick, and there's a YouTube guide, but for the most part, guinea pigs will have much more success training YOU....that's why we're known as slaves, not owners.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hi Cavy! That is really neat. Please share any training tips you have!

I heard pigs have great senses of smell similar to dogs. I figured if they can train those dogs to smell cancer and stuff, I could train mine to help my grandpa know when the milk goes bad since his nose doesn’t work like it used to in the good ol' days. I left old milk with Mrs. Piggy, off and on, and would give him a treat when he would go near the milk. He still didn’t help my grandpa. Probably would have helped if his cage was close to the fridge or something. It’s hard to say.
They really like flattery and bribery. You must also remember not to train for too long as they're divas and need their rest to eat, nap and drink their filtered water.

Make sure you put on a nice spread after too!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The best trick mine learnt was to make my OH who is not an animal person love them, so much so they are now the main topic of conversation in this house and we are total slaves.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
my piggie attended a special class for learning how to serve tea
View attachment 70886
now the next class is about how to bake scones :D
Lovely - I'll be round for tea soon @rome_italy
I may bring a piggie or two as I am sure mine would have no problems communicating with yours, as all of my guinea pigs speak at least four languages fluently.
I think raising multilingual pigs is just so important in this day and age.

Stayc1989

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum and the GP lifestyle since I found a couple of these furry little dogs roaming around my neighborhood this weekend. Anyway I showed them to my cousin Ronnie who showed me some GP tricks over on a site called Worldstar and I've been working tirelessly for the last 15 or 20 minutes to teach my little furrbulls some but so far all they've done is use the bathroom on my mom's rug which is going to be a big problem if I can't train them to use the bowl I set out for them in their cage. My mom raeally doesn't like Meatball and Meatball II (that's what I named my GPs) so I feel like if I could teach them some useful tricks to show her (sit, roll over, fetch newspaper) and get them to use the bathroom I set up for them in their cage (can they close the door for privacy? can they learn that?) my mom would warm up to them.

What are your favorite GP tricks and how did you tech them?
Some of mine use the puppy pads as a toilet when out on the floor. I put them on the floor a few times without puppy pads and they always went under a small table so we started to put the puppy pads under the table at first. Now they are more comfortable and confident they come out from under the table and use the puppy pads wherever it is, only for weeing on though they still poop all over the place :lol!: Baring in mind I have 7 (2 pairs and a trio) some have mastered it and some haven't yet so still a little working progress. Maybe if I put food on it or something.