• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grain Free Food - Is Soy free better?

MrsFB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Looking into grain free pellets. The Science Selective seems to have a lot of soya based products in it. Is this a concern?

as far as I am aware this is not an issue. I feed science selective grain free because they're the only timothy hay based pellets I can easily get hold of. the most important thing is to make sure you're not overfeeding pellets (one tbsp per pig per day)

as far as I am aware this is not an issue. I feed science selective grain free because they're the only timothy hay based pellets I can easily get hold of. the most important thing is to make sure you're not overfeeding pellets (one tbsp per pig per day)
Thank you very much :)

Looking into grain free pellets. The Science Selective seems to have a lot of soya based products in it. Is this a concern?
I would refer to the advice given by other members.
I use Oxbow Adult Guinea Pig Food and have never had any issues! They are a great company with equally great products! Have you tried them before? ☺

Science select grain free
I stopped feeding Science Selective after lots of bladder issues. The pellet change may have been a coincidence but I won't risk them again.
What do you feed now? I cut them down to one tablespoon every other day. I think soy is bad for Guinea pigs.

I'm looking at feeding rosewood naturals, but nowhere blumming has them but online. I do not like science select grain free because of the soya in it.

I believe the best pellets to buy should be cold pressed and Timothy based. Not easy to find.

We haven’t picked our Guineas up yet so just trying to get prepared. Who knew there was so much to choose from?! Thanks for your help x

We haven’t picked our Guineas up yet so just trying to get prepared. Who knew there was so much to choose from?! Thanks for your help x
There's so much.. Try and find cold pressed, soy and grain free, timothy based. this is the route I'm taking. I think I'm going to order naturals meadow menu Guinea pig pellets tonight👍

What do you feed now? I cut them down to one tablespoon every other day. I think soy is bad for Guinea pigs.

I am feeding JRFarm and Versele Laga Cavia Complete plus a little bit of Burgess mint while I finish them up. I only feed 2 or 3 of the JRFarm ones each when they have those because they are big like the Roselands ones, when they have the smaller pellets they only get about a teaspoon. I'd like to cut pellets out all together but mine have got used to them and their pellet time is a highlight of the day, they can tell the time! I have just added a bag of the Hay Box ones to my hay order to see what they are like, they are a mix of cold compressed grasses which sounds healthier. All the soy and fillers added to the pellets worry me. I've had so many issues with bladders and lost two young piggies to kidney stones I feel like I'm going. round in circles. The vet who did Rusty's stone bladder operation recommends Burgess as she says they have a better balance of calcium and minerals, I did go onto them completely for a while, the sludgy deposits on the fleece were a lot less but not gone completely and I'm not completely happy with feeding them.
I originally went over to the Science Selective ones because I could buy them locally without the hassle of waiting in for deliveries. If they Hay Box ones are okay at least it will only be one delivery a month.
I agree I think soy is bad for them, it seems to be hidden in a lot of the commercial pellets.

Back