• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grain free science selective or harringtons?

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had the guinea on pets at home brand ehen i first gor them as that what was fed and then when i got th 2 girls they were being feb on science selective so they have been on 50/50 for some time. I'm noticing a lot of calcium deposits in their hay tray so wondering if i need to change food? Ive changed veggies to ensure its as low jn calcium as i can but thought maybe a change in food was best wondering if the grain free was any better for them or harringtons? Just the price difference being a difference thought id ask on opinion. Thanks

I think if you look at the nugget comparison chart, the SS grain free version has less calcium than Harringtons.
Nugget Comparison Chart
So it could be veggies or maybe even water hardness playing a part?

.we havent started on grain free yet just the science selective but still have pets at home which is alfalfa based :/ i dont use tap water only bottled tesco ashbeck water which vet recommended as its very low calcium as we have very hard water and I cant fit a filter in. I just wondered if the grain free was worth the cost compared x

We have grain free selective pellets, but we sometimes feed a few of the selective alfalfa pellets as treats Theo arrived with a bag of harringtons, and he eats these mixed with our usual pellets, but as a human I dont like Harringtons because they look like poo so I can never tell if he's pooped in his food dish!

.we havent started on grain free yet just the science selective but still have pets at home which is alfalfa based :/ i dont use tap water only bottled tesco ashbeck water which vet recommended as its very low calcium as we have very hard water and I cant fit a filter in. I just wondered if the grain free was worth the cost compared x
It probably cones down to personal preference. Personally I didn’t like the SS as they were quite large pellets and they are alfalfa based. To me the grain free version looked and smelt better, was Timothy hay based and was more accepted by my pigs. I’ve never tried Harrington’s so I can’t comment on those :)

I changed from P@H to Harringtons and never had a problem. Velvet loves them and would eat them all day if I let her.

Velvet Pellets.JPG

Harringtons will be fine for your little ones, but try with a smaller bag first to monitor the calcium deposits.

And to see how your pigs like them. I have 2 boys who have Harringtons, the other 3 refuse to eat them.

Back