• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Soooooo I think this may be a stupid question but.... I'm going to buy the pigboys redigrass today, is there a limit on how much they can have? They can have a handful a day surely yes?

I usually give mine a small handful once or if they've been very good! twice a week.
It's high in calcium so not recommended to give every day.

Are you actually kidding me? I've spent a bomb on veg this week because I learn half of what I'm feeding is high in calcium , now I buy grass thinking I'll use that & I find that's high in it too!?

I give up.

Don't give up!

My piggies would like to point out that they all love grass and consider it an essential food so please give it to your little piggies and allow them to enjoy the finer things in life! And they are jogging my elbow to write that your piggies should have as much as they want - but I would add that a handful every other day would be brilliant and they would thoroughly enjoy it.

Oh yes - and my piggies heartily approve of buying lots of different veg and have put in a serious complaint to me now that I don't spend enough on veg for them. (I did get some more this morning, in my defence)

Love to your piggies from Carmina, Carmeline, Columbine and Carmilla. xx

*Gulps* and *panics* I didn't know that! My piggies have an unlimited supply of readi- grass, as well as hay. I thought it was ok as I heard someone say Vedra at CCT only gives readi-grass. Should I start cutting back then?

My fridge is full of stuff for them, but I still don't seem to have enough for something different they love leafy stuff but everything seems to have too much calcium! I don't give carrots too much cos I read that's bad, yet other people seem to give it daily. It's just so confusing! I thought hay was grass?! So if they have have constant hay why so little grass?!

I feel really sorry for them I've cut back on everything & they're no longer even that excited about veg time bless them ;( I guess they're thinking great now what's she giving us... We want spinach!

It is confusing, I love the smell of redigrass and my piggies love it! but yes it is high in calcuim so I only feed once a week as a treat now, as too much calcuim causes bladder stones:(

Also high in calcuim is spinach, some dark leafy lettuces.

I was told to feed carrots, bell peppers, swede, cauliflower, corn on the cob to mine by my rodentologist.

They can eat the White of cauliflower not just the leaves can't they?

Yes although mine much prefer the leaves, and (sorry to say!) don't give them too much as it's one of those foods that can cause bloat.

Indeed but its not too difficult once you know what they can have and in what quantities :)

It is a bit hard getting it right I agree :{ I give carrots everyday?
Mine love kale but have had to cut back on that cos of the calcium.. i think its just getting a good mix and varying it day to day so its not all the same every day. Difficult :(

Now I have a problem.... I give my boy a constant supply of mountain hay (all I seem to find in SA of the piggies), but he thinks its only for pooping on.
The only grass he will eat is Alfalfa Grass. So I also give him a constant supply of that. Is that OK?

He probably does also eat the hay he poops on... From the look of it the alfalfa grass will be a no no constantly...

Goodness, I will take the Alfalfa away completely for a week and only give it as a treet. I will have to look more closely to see if he does eat the hay.
Naughty boy!

How old is your boy? Ive given everyone of my piggies Alfalfa hay bales everyday up until they reached 6 months old - i read somewhere that it was good for young piggies and pregnant/nursing piggies.

I think Alfalfa is very high in calcium - so it's best to be given as a 'once in while' treat. The best hay you can give your boy would be Timothy hay - there are lots of different hay's around, might be worth trying a few out.

The Hay experts do a sample pack you can buy that contains various hays to try - it's a good way of finding out what hay your piggie really likes before buying a big bag and finding he doesn't like it:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays,+Grasses+%252526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Sample+Pack.23/

I am in South Africa. Will probably struggle to get the right stuff. All I can find in pet stores are Alfalfa and Mountain hay.
I will take a drive to the horse product dealers, they should be more helpfull.
Thank you for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back