• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Grease glands?

The3LittlePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my six boars has the worst grease gland issue I have ever encountered! I have literally had to trim hair off it because I was so fearful he would end up with flystrike after the hot days we've been having. Coconut oil doesn't seem to work on such a large area. His whole bum ends up greasy, not just his grease gland area. Bum baths seem to make it stickier! Any idea what I can do for him? His hair breaks off when I gently brush in the worst section. He is in no way uncared for, I monitor his grease gland constantly and although grooming and bum baths and the coconut oil is keeping the issue at bay I'm wondering if there's a long term solution? He looks like he has mites after his trim bless him the poor boy.

You might find something to help here
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Swarfega is a bit frowned upon now but I have used it successfully without issue when one of mine has had a really bad grease problem. I have just bought some coconut oil but haven't tried it yet, waiting for the weather to warm up a bit here first. All 6 of my boys need a bum bath soon and 2 have got really greasy glands! I think washing and cleaning the grease gland frequently makes the matter worse as it stimulates the gland to produce more greese.

Swarfega tends to dry out the skin around the grease gland and it is a bit harsh, but see whether you find it more effective in your case.

cleaning out the grease gland too regularly can unfortunately help to overstimulate it, but I appreciate it that it is a tightrope walk with a really bad grease gland that could get infected.

You may want to speak to your vet about further medical options.

I think for now I might leave it a few weeks and see if it can sort itself out now the worst is gone.. if he gets icky again maybe I'll give the swarfega a try, but maybe have a word with my vet first and see what they think of it or if they can recommend anything. Thanks for your advice!

Back