• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Greetings! (pigless for first time in 15 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pinkfluff

Hello everybody,
I'm new round here, my name is Bex, I'm 21 years old, I'm female, I live on a smallholding, and I'm pigless for the first time in 15 years :(
I was going to register on this forum about a week ago but life turn an unexpected turn to sad when our last pig died aged a rather impressive 9 years. It's suprising what a big hole a little old pig can leave in your life and I really am missing him a great deal.

"Pig" as he was affectionately known by all who knew him (due to him being the last pig) would probably never have won any prizes for his beauty, being a very subtle mottled brown colour but he more than made up for it in personality, believe me that pig had charisma!

My family have always had pigs (as well as lots of other animals), and dear Pig was the son of a couple of pigs we took in back when we were regularly taking in rescues (we had about 30 at one point). The mother; a beautiful black Abyssinian, was of course already pregnant (This was the reason she ended up with us), and the father was a really gorgeous blue/grey rex. The entire litter were striking bundles of fluff but Pig somehow lacked any rosettes, so while the other's found loving homes easilly Pig remained with us.

Many years went by and I'm pretty sure Pig had a good life, so here I am pigless and waiting for the right pig/pigs to make themselves known to me.
I'm not bothered by how they look, or even their temperment but I'll know when I find them...or they find me ;)

Hope to see everybody around the forum.
Thanks for listening
x

Hello Bex!

Sorry to hear about your piggy dying - its awful when you lose a pet, especially one that you've had such a long time.

Hope you find a new pig soon :)

9 years, that's amazing, welcome to the forum :)

Bev x x

I always say that guinea pigs improve with age, so Pig must have been Some Pig :D

I'm sorry that he is no longer with you.

Thank everybody for the friendly welcome,

bev said:
9 years, that's amazing, welcome to the forum :)

Bev x x

Yeah he really was elderly, we haven't had another pig live near that age, his long term companions "Big White" and "Catherine" both lived to about 7 and a bit so we've been lucky really. On the other hand we've taken in babies that haven't made it through their first year, I guess it's all part of life. :(

hopperhaven said:
I always say that guinea pigs improve with age, so Pig must have been Some Pig :D

I'm sorry that he is no longer with you.

:) Yep he really was, he was a wonderfully quirky little fellow right up to his last moments. He really was part of the family...thinking about it he was considerably older than some of the younger human members ;) Strangely enough after he went it took a couple of days to really sink in, we still somehow expected to see him look out of his home and munch away on a carrot or two, he was that much a part of our lives.

I don't really want to rush getting a new pig/s but I'm sure lots of you know they really do leave a big gap in your life and it would be lovely to hear the 'weeting' of young piggies again, having said that I would happilly take on an older piggy or two, guess I'll wait and see.

It's great looking round this forum at everybody's piggys, so many lovely piggies!
:D

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll enjoy it here and maybe even find some lonely guineas to adopt and love!
Sorry to hear about "Pig" what a great age and a much loved boy.

Look forward to chatting to you,
Barbara

Welcome to the forum!

Very sorry to hear about Pig, he sounded like a lovely man...

Whereabouts in the country are you? there are always lots of piggies about needing homes, once you are ready ;)

Thanks for the welcome Starflick, Beks and Cavykind.

Beks said:
Whereabouts in the country are you? there are always lots of piggies about needing homes, once you are ready ;)

I'm in the South West, I'm currently researching which animal shelters have pigs, most round here are strickly cats and (mainly) dogs.

It's often worth contacting local vet surgeries as they often know of people/clients who are involved with local small animal rescue :)

It's good that you are taking your time researching shelters. I hope you can find a reputable one that can help. I'm sure you will!

Barbara

Thanks cavykind, thats a good idea I'll pop into the vets on the way to or from college tomorrow I think.
Before we moved to this area we kind of were the local small animal shelter, but in this area nobody really is much interested in small animals of any kind. Or at least you don't hear about it.

so very sorry to hear about Pig he sounded wonderful I managed to get a pig to almost 8 and a few of 7, but I think pigs that get to that age are special just like Pig, and its a long time in your life when you lose them,
I hope you find a special friend soon I would be so lost with out my 33 darlings they are my life along with max my dog( his brother died in july) and jimmy our meyers parrot of 27, oh and some where in there is 5 kids and a grandaughter lol,
I often take in GP from my vets here on the Island but i tend to keep any pig that crosses the doorstep, so I dont need to look for new homes, welcome to the forum its great fun and so friendly :)

Thanks Janella and Karenrpr (I've PM'd you Karen)

michellemuffin said:
so very sorry to hear about Pig he sounded wonderful I managed to get a pig to almost 8 and a few of 7, but I think pigs that get to that age are special just like Pig, and its a long time in your life when you lose them,
I hope you find a special friend soon I would be so lost with out my 33 darlings they are my life along with max my dog( his brother died in july) and jimmy our meyers parrot of 27, oh and some where in there is 5 kids and a grandaughter lol,

You're house sounds great, we have ponies, dogs, cats, ducks, chickens, cockateils, and geese so it's never quiet here ;D

Hi and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear about Pig. He was certianly loved and reached an amazing age, but nothing eases the pain of losing a special friend. Pig will help you find the right companion when the time is right. Let him guide you.

Thanks Lucinda, I really think he will, he had an opinion about everything, so I'm pretty sure even though he's gone he'll find a way of finding me the right new friend :)

I know that my darling Angel-Dr (see avatar) helped me to find Rocky when I was ready. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back