• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Grey Liquid Discharge From Eye

Snowdrop.Fudge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I took my guinea pig Snowdrop to the vet around 2 weeks ago when I noticed that she had some grey liquid coming from her left eye and was given some eye drops to give her twice a day for a week. I soon noticed the grey liquid again and thought it was nothing but at the beginning of this week I noticed that it had returned. Although I have seen some similar 'cases', I am beginning to get a bit concerned.

I took my guinea pig Snowdrop to the vet around 2 weeks ago when I noticed that she had some grey liquid coming from her left eye and was given some eye drops to give her twice a day for a week. I soon noticed the grey liquid again and thought it was nothing but at the beginning of this week I noticed that it had returned. Although I have seen some similar 'cases', I am beginning to get a bit concerned.

Hi!

Could you please take a picture? 'Grey liquid' doesn't ring any bells with me unless you mean slightly bluish gunk from an unlceration in the eye (which means an infection as a result to an scratch or perforation of the eye surface).

Has your vet checked whether there was a hay poke or something firmly lodged under the eyelid that continues to irritate/scratch the eye surface?

Sorry about the blur, It's difficult to see in this lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 11
Sorry about the blur, It's difficult to see in this lighting.

Sorry, is the fluid transparent or opaque? Your picture is too blurred for me to make that out.
But it definitely doesn't look like dried milky white eye cleaning fluid, so I have left that out of consideration from the start.

Transparent dried fluid is dried clear tear fluid, which in guinea pigs is a sign of an irritation in the eye, whether that is from something stuck in the eye or from a conjunctivitis.
Gunky opaque is from an ulceration in the eye.

In either case, please contact your vet clinic again.

What has your vet treated for? You haven't mentioned it even though it would be rather helpful to have a bit more background information especially as we are much more limited online without being able to see and handle a guinea pig and having to go on even less than any vet.

The fluid is opaque and I think it's gunky opaque fluid, and I will try contacting them right now.

Back