• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Griffin isnt well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

Griffin has diarrhoea not that bad but i dont want him getting ill, he has the vets on tuesday but in the mean time what should i do, zubins fine so it cant be something he can catch should i stop feeding him greens? or maybe some banana any ideas? x

Hi there,
how bad is the diarrheoa? Is it really runny or just a bit squishy?

Peter Gurney says to give 1.5ml of arrowroot morning and night. Mix it with water to form a thick paste.

I do this for George when he gets a bit squishy and it sorts him out after a day or 2.

If its quite runny - do withdraw greens for a couple of days and make sure he has plenty of water to drink.

I'm sure someone will come along who knows more than me but that's what I would do.

Why is he going to the vets on Tuesday does he have other symptoms?

not meaning to scare you but my pig got mild diarrheoa on Tuesday last week and he seemed okay in himself and I had a vets appointment any way on the Sat morning for my other pig (kidney problems) so i withdrew greens and topped up the pellets/oats and gave him loads of hay to munch on. I took him to the vets Sat morning as planned and he was given an anti-biotic jab (vet though he had a stomach infection from the symptoms) but he went down hill fast and died Saturday night and I do wonder if it might have been different if he had been to the vets a couple of days earlier. Vet said he was dehydrated by the time she saw him so I think he stopped drinking on the Friday - he was playing in the garden Thursday evening and whilst a little subdued he was okay and running around but on Friday he seemed to get much worse and on Saturday he was so skinny and sorry looking which was amazing as he was such a plump pig before.

Weigh him daily as mine lost half his body weight in 2 days (weighed him on Wed and he was okay but when i weighed him again Fri night his weight had plummeted :'()

its a little squishy/watery and i have arrowroot in my cupboard so ill get on with that, hes absolouty fine in himself i think its because he was on no veg and a rabbit mix at pets at home and adjusting to Zubins feeding routine has givin him a gippie tummy he has vets tues as we got him 2 weeks ago and i like my new pets to have a once over once they've settled down just to check hes healthy but ill mention the diarrheoa as well to see what they say, i weighed him today and hes lost a gram which i no doesnt sound much but he was only 350g last weekend but saying that him and Zubin have been running around like bats outta hell the last week so the excersise may be doing that anyways i have syringes and arrowroot so ill try your suggestion Debbie, do they like the taste because hes quite stubborn and i doubt he'll eat something he doesnt like hehe thankxs oh it is the powdered arrowroot you use in cooking yes? thanks again x

personally i would take him to the vets today. Dont wait until Tuesday. Piggies can do down very fast indeed.

I cant drive and its too windy to walk there, my mum gets back at 3 ill see what she says i have no choice but to relie on her i dont have money hehe I'm going to give him that arrowroot stuff now but before i do is it that ground arrowroot you use in cooking i dont want to give him this unless i no ive done it right ?

If you change a piggies diet they can get a gippie tummy. Are you a member of the CCT? Even you are not you can still text Vedra on 0772106401. Tell her you have a pig with diarrheoa. She will text you and tell you to call her when she can talk. She will give you advice as to what to do until you can get to a vet.

no I'm not a member i have no credit on my phone ill pop out in a bit and get some, i had no choice but to change his diet he was on a rabbit mix i gave him a tiny bit of my rabbits mix in with the museli stuff but he prefered the musli i gave him that arrowroot and he quite liked it i will give him some tonight and hes drinking normally and making alot of noise i hope its nothing serious ill see what my mum says tonight sometimes life would be easier if you where born with the ability to drive a car lol x

Oh I know what you mean. Life is so much easier when you have your own transport. I take my piggies to Hastings when they are sick and thats a 3 hour round trip. I have to rely on my husband to take me. Its so hard when you have to depend on other people, you feel so helpless.

You done the right thing changing his diet, like you say you had to. Pets At Home *Grrr* >:( don't get me started.

I really hope he's ok. I will be thinking of you.

Have a look at this for more information

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/diarrhoea.htm

you dont need to be a memebr to call Vedra. if you cant text phone her on a normal phone.

when my piggys have diarrohea I always give them probiotics it increases the good bacteria in the gut and i always use it when pigs are on anti biotics mine is called Avipro plus from vetark on www.vetark.co.uk or phone 08702430384 vitamins are also in this powder and I swear by it,

His poops are just soft and squidgy i dont know whether to take him to the vet or not!? Hes running around with Zubin as if hes fine ? should i buy them some guinea Xel when i got our later apparantly thats better than guinea museli?

Hes all lathargic my mum will be home in two ticks she'll no what to do I'm so scared i dont want him to get ill :'(

ever since Rudi went all lathargic i worry so much i should have done animal care i dont no anything about helping animals only people hehe

If your mum's gonna be back soon then I'm sure she can take over.. can't you get an emergency appt with the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back