• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

grooming advice

Jodieb122

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My husband and I adopted a pair of two year old long haired guinea pigs last week, they have gotten a bit more confidant with us and will eat out of our hands and let us touch their heads. But when we try and brush them they really don't like it. My husband managed to trap them in a big box to give them a little brush and I managed to snip a deadlock off of one of them in the cage (she was quite upset about it). I want to trim the hair around their bottoms shorter but they do run away. How can I get them to stay still? should I try getting them in a shoe box/washing up bowl so they cant run away. Some videos I watched had the pigs on a table or plinth while they were groomed, if I put them on a table will they run off and get hurt or do they instinctively know not to jump off a table?

Welcome.
If they jump off a table, they could break something and end up at a vet hospital. They are not like cats.
I put my Finn in a plastic bin then work on cutting his hair and trim his nails. I use soft towel to hold him. He really doesn't like his bum hair cut but that is where most of his dirty hair is. Thankfully, he doesn't mind bum baths.

My boys are long haired (one more than the other). I can’t offer any advice but am watching this thread for any useful help as I have the same problem - one of them tolerates being picked up but trying to do anything with him other than a bit of a stroke and a cuddle is another story!

My coronet Rapunzel does best on my lap. She’ll tuck her head under my arm to try to hide but it works pretty well for her. She does squeal a lot while I’m brushing her rear end but she’s not too bad.

I had a friend come over who used to have guinea pigs herself and she held the girls while I gave them a trim (they had some tangles in their behinds which needed cutting out).

Back