• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grooming

• Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 147427

Hi my salsa is so fluffy I’m just wondering if I should groom her .

Can we have a picture of Salsa? I bet she's a cutie.

Honestly, in my opinion only, I think all piggies should be used to being brushed as some can't groom properly when they're older. So if they're used to being brushed it won't be stressful for them compared to if they're not.

I have have 6 short haired piggies (4 smooth coat, 1 Ridgeback (he looks like he has a mohawk) and a rex. They're all used to being brushed and having nails done. They're also used to me checking their mouths, teeth and bits.

however I have had my piggies a lot longer than you have had yours. Please ensure your piggies have settled in and are happy to have you invading their space before you start.

Things to ask yourself
- can I walk into the room without them running away and hiding?
-will they come out and greet me even if I'm moving or being noisy?
- can I put my hand in the cage? Do they run away or come to you?
- are they easy to be picked up? Can you do this in a stress free way?

Now, I'm no pro when it comes to breeds of pig but Salsa looks to be an Abyssinian. I've never had one but they don't look to have overly long hair so I doubt you'd need to brush her regularly or trim her hair.

Salsa looks like shes wondering what that tiny human is doing 🤣

She has quite long fluffy hair on
Now, I'm no pro when it comes to breeds of pig but Salsa looks to be an Abyssinian. I've never had one but they don't look to have overly long hair so I doubt you'd need to brush her regularly or trim her hair.

Salsa looks like shes wondering what that tiny human is doing 🤣
she has quite long hair on her sides

I agree with @Engel all our longer haired ladies have disliked grooming, it actually got to the point where with Vimto it was detrimental to any bond we'd build up so we kept her fur shorter but she had LONG hair. Your little one Salsa looks like an Abby so unless bum fur gets matted i wouldn't do it regular, maybe a check every few weeks or so...

I don't groom my Louise but I do trim her with clippers esp around the face (avoiding whiskers and eyebrows!) and back end (she soaks wee in her leg feathers).
In summer she's trimmed all over. She doesn't much like it but she hates being groomed even more because it pulls at her tender skin. If I don't top and tail she can get urine scald on her back feet and she is less active because she can't see very well. If your floofy girl can see and her bum end isn't wet or dirty you don't have a problem! Here are pics of Louise:
Before Louise side view.jpg and after cropped gigi.jpga shy pair.jpg

I don't groom my Louise but I do trim her with clippers esp around the face (avoiding whiskers and eyebrows!) and back end (she soaks wee in her leg feathers).
In summer she's trimmed all over. She doesn't much like it but she hates being groomed even more because it pulls at her tender skin. If I don't top and tail she can get urine scald on her back feet and she is less active because she can't see very well. If your floofy girl can see and her bum end isn't wet or dirty you don't have a problem! Here are pics of Louise:
Before View attachment 190172 and after View attachment 190174View attachment 190180
She does have a bit of urine staining on her back end

She does have a bit of urine staining on her back end
Youll notice urine staining because she has a white bum. I've had white rats, hamsters and dogs and you really notice the staining either from scent glands, urine, grass stains and anything else you can think of. You won't notice it on pigs with darker coats, but that doesn't mean it's not there, you just can't see it.

I really wouldn't worry about staining. It doesn't mean anything, it's not bad, it wont hurt her. Not only that I think I've tried every 'stain removing' shampoo and conditioner out there with my dog Beau, and I can assure you it's a waste of money. Essentially you need to accept that white animals aren't destined to be white.

Here's Beau after refusing to come inside while it was raining so he spent all his time zooming around the garden and diggingSnapchat-470427782.jpg
Did I get all that mud out? Nope and his feet where stained from the grass and I couldn't get that out either.

All I'm trying to say is don't worry.

Before View attachment 190172 and after View attachment 190174View attachment 190180
Louise looks so much better with her fancy hair cut! I know that battle too well (with my other dog Bella), which is the worst of the 2 evils?

Bless them if only they understood we were trying to help.

Youll notice urine staining because she has a white bum. I've had white rats, hamsters and dogs and you really notice the staining either from scent glands, urine, grass stains and anything else you can think of. You won't notice it on pigs with darker coats, but that doesn't mean it's not there, you just can't see it.

I really wouldn't worry about staining. It doesn't mean anything, it's not bad, it wont hurt her. Not only that I think I've tried every 'stain removing' shampoo and conditioner out there with my dog Beau, and I can assure you it's a waste of money. Essentially you need to accept that white animals aren't destined to be white.

Here's Beau after refusing to come inside while it was raining so he spent all his time zooming around the garden and diggingView attachment 190206
Did I get all that mud out? Nope and his feet where stained from the grass and I couldn't get that out either.

All I'm trying to say is don't worry.
Ah she’s so cute 🥰

This is how floffy my salsa is

Attachments

• 95213C47-7D77-494C-9E8C-7C3237B6B994.jpeg
    95213C47-7D77-494C-9E8C-7C3237B6B994.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 11
She doesn’t look to be pure Abyssinian given she has longer hair.
I have a long haired boy and I try to do a quick brush with him when I do the weekly weight checks but he doesn’t particularly like it. I trim his hair fairly regularly and ensure it is kept short around his back end (His back end is kept short all year but I don’t trim the top of him so much in winter)

I don’t do weekly weigh checks as my girls are so difficult to handle . Should I get a grooming kit to groom her. She has never been groomed before

I don’t do weekly weigh checks as my girls are so difficult to handle . Should I get a grooming kit to groom her. She has never been groomed before

It’ll take time but it is so important to get into a routine of weighing them every week. It is the only way to be sure they are eating enough hay and can be so useful in picking up on the early warning signs of an illness. They will sometimes stop eating enough hay (so you will see weight loss) before showing any other symptoms.
The earlier you start getting into that routine the easier it’ll be. They won’t particularly like it, but it is easier to do it ASAP. If you need to give them medications at any point, then it is so much harder in piggies who aren’t used to being handled.

It was difficult to begin with as my boys didn’t like it and hated being handled. They have got used to it though, they don’t particularly like it, but it isn’t the battle it used to be. Lots of coriander while being handled worked! They will sit still long enough for their weight checks, nailing clipping and grooming but only if I don’t try to do too much at one time - for example, a weight check and clipping the front nails may be enough, then clipping the back nails the next day etc

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

I just use a baby hair brush and a pair of hairdressing scissors - nothing fancy

An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

It’ll take time but it is so important to get into a routine of weighing them every week. It is the only way to be sure they are eating enough hay and can be so useful in picking up on the early warning signs of an illness. They will sometimes stop eating enough hay (so you will see weight loss) before showing any other symptoms.
The earlier you start getting into that routine the easier it’ll be. They won’t particularly like it, but it is easier to do it ASAP. If you need to give them medications at any point, then it is so much harder in piggies who aren’t used to being handled.

It was difficult to begin with as my boys didn’t like it and hated being handled. They have got used to it though, they don’t particularly like it, but it isn’t the battle it used to be. Lots of coriander while being handled worked! They will sit still long enough for their weight checks, nailing clipping and grooming but only if I don’t try to do too much at one time - for example, a weight check and clipping the front nails may be enough, then clipping the back nails the next day etc

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely

I just use a baby hair brush and a pair of hairdressing scissors - nothing fancy

An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Okay thanks for the advice .

Back