• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Growth on paw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
While playing with my piggy today I noticed he had something on his right front paw and after closer inspection I realized that what I thought was bedding or an injured toe was actually a growth. I honestly have no idea what it is and he doesn't seem bothered when I touch or poke at it, but I'm worried it might be something bad since this is my first piggy, so I have no experience in what is normal and what isn't for them.

Any words of wisdom? Or does anyone know what this little growth is? Is it just a guinea wart or something?

Is it a hard growth off the pad of the foot? That could be a foot spur, which is harmless but may need to be trimmed back now and then. Some pigs get them and some pigs don't... out of our two housed in the exact same environment, one gets foot spurs and one doesn't.

To katiepops:

Actually it sounds exactly like a spur - whew, I'm glad its nothing serious. Though I am nervous about clipping it to be honest. >>

To Freela:

Huh, odd that some get spurs and others don't - I'm just glad its not harmful.

hi there it's fine to clip these spurs they're just skin. Don't do too close to the foot and it'll be fine :-) x

Ahh thats what its called. Soot had them appear last year and i thought it was bummble foot. I took her (or could be a he) to get it looked at by the vet and she said its an extra nail that grows and keep it trimmed. Now i know what it is. This is a great forum, you learn something new all the time :)

Spurs are very common - about a third of the piggies develop them.

To katiepops:

Actually it sounds exactly like a spur - whew, I'm glad its nothing serious. Though I am nervous about clipping it to be honest. >>

Next time you go to the vets get them to show you what to do or if you got them from a rescue I'm sure they'd be happy to show you.

To katiepops:

I actually obtained him from a friend at work since she didn't want him anymore and there aren't any vets here that really deal with small animals unless I want to drive an hour. I'll just be sure to be careful when clipping it, just like I am with his nails. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back