• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Grumpy Pig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoysMum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some advice :{

I have 2 boars, they are brothers and get on well with eachother. But whilst one brother is lovely and friendly when handled, the other is slowly getting more and more aggitated by being handled!

I dont over fuss them, they are indoor pigs so are used to me being around all the time and i generally get them out to sit on my knee once per day, and they also have floor time daily. I try to make me handling them a positive experience for them by letting them munch lots of veg at the same time but Louis is now ignoring the veg and biting my hands or arms and running around trying to find a way to jump off my knee! He never used to do this, I understand he might not like being handled (anymore) for some reason but I need to be able to check him over daily without causing him all this stress :( What can I do?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure you will have some expert advice! :))

Hello. :)p I would also check for lice or mites as this can make the skin senstive/ sore.

It could just be that now he knows you, he is confident enough to tell you that he doesn't like lap time. One of my girls will only really sit long enough to eat her treat (parsley or similar) then either nips, butts with her head or screams to get down. I find using a fleece cosy helps as she can sit in that on my lap and feel that she's not really been held, and I can run my hands over her to do the health checks.

:)

Hello. :)p I would also check for lice or mites as this can make the skin senstive/ sore.

It could just be that now he knows you, he is confident enough to tell you that he doesn't like lap time. One of my girls will only really sit long enough to eat her treat (parsley or similar) then either nips, butts with her head or screams to get down. I find using a fleece cosy helps as she can sit in that on my lap and feel that she's not really been held, and I can run my hands over her to do the health checks.

:)

Thanks and I think you're right about him being confident enough now to show me what he wants! rolleyes

I'm a vet nurse so the first thing I looked for was any skin problems, but they are treated with ivermec regularly.
Thanks again.

All I can think of is that he may have a personality type that doesn't like a lot of handling. One of my pigs is a giant suck and loves attention, the other one doesn't mind handling but when she is done she is done, and my past piggie would only tolerate handling in small doses before getting very restless and clearly wanting down.

Thats great, I can work around his personality aslong as I'm not doing anything wrong!

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now! :))

All I can think of is that he may have a personality type that doesn't like a lot of handling. One of my pigs is a giant suck and loves attention, the other one doesn't mind handling but when she is done she is done, and my past piggie would only tolerate handling in small doses before getting very restless and clearly wanting down.

One of mine is the same, cuddling is far too boring, he wants to PLAY!

Whereas Bumble and Pixie actually refuse to get off your lap when you try and put them back in the hutch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back