• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPadgham

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, I started posting a week or two ago. I'm bringing home two adopted boars in a week from a local rescue.

Although I've received some really great advice, I've also been made to seriously doubt myself and feel hugely guilty about the life I'm able to offer my pigs - and they're not even home yet!

I initially planned to keep them in a hutch within a shed but felt so berated for considering it that I convinced my husband that they should live indoors. Inside I am able to accommodate a 120 cage, with a collapsible run to be used daily. Again I've been made to feel as though I'm being cruel and neglectful because I'm not able to offer them more space.

I was so excited about adopting the pigs and bringing them into a loving home but now I feel like perhaps I shouldn't get them at all. In my heart I know that the home I'm offering will be far superior to the experience of the average guinea pig but I'm an animal lover and can't help but feel really upset that my set-up is considered unacceptable.

Not looking for advice or sympathy I just needed to get it off my chest.

You shouldn't feel bad. The 120 space is minimum for two pigs, however if you're able to offer them indoor run time that's fantastic.

I always doubt myself too. I think it's quite common. This forum is a fab place if you ever have doubts about anything. I've learnt so much from being on here.

I'm new to this forum, I started posting a week or two ago. I'm bringing home two adopted boars in a week from a local rescue.

Although I've received some really great advice, I've also been made to seriously doubt myself and feel hugely guilty about the life I'm able to offer my pigs - and they're not even home yet!

I initially planned to keep them in a hutch within a shed but felt so berated for considering it that I convinced my husband that they should live indoors. Inside I am able to accommodate a 120 cage, with a collapsible run to be used daily. Again I've been made to feel as though I'm being cruel and neglectful because I'm not able to offer them more space.

I was so excited about adopting the pigs and bringing them into a loving home but now I feel like perhaps I shouldn't get them at all. In my heart I know that the home I'm offering will be far superior to the experience of the average guinea pig but I'm an animal lover and can't help but feel really upset that my set-up is considered unacceptable.

Not looking for advice or sympathy I just needed to get it off my chest.

You shouldn't be made to feel guilty! Both a shed (ideally isolated for the extremes of cold and heat) with a window or a 120cm are perfectly adequate for guinea pigs and in compliance with RSPCA minimum guidelines, especially when connected with a run, so you shouldn't have any problems with passing your rescue's home check. It would be good to ask them for their own individual guidelines though, as they vary from rescue to rescue.

It is always great if you can go to the maximum, but you do not have to feel guilty if you can't. Offering indoors accommosation with daily runtime will give your two boys a very happy life! If you wish to optimise the space, you can always think about going two story within the footprint of the minimum space required (which you can provide!). Have you considered looking at a 2x3 grid (ca. 70x105 cm) cage with a hayloft - that gives you the same ground space as a traditional 60 x120 cm cage, but it is easier to go up. ;)

I have my 2 are in a 120cm cage, with a run from 10-6pm. My piggies are happy and healthy!

Your piggies will have a great life with you, with the care and thought you've put into looking after them. Just remember all the poor piggies that are housed outside in the cold, in too small a hutch with little interaction. These are the piggies we should be worrying about!

Hello! Your set up sounds absolutely fine, nothing to worry about at all! You sound like a very caring piggie mum and shouldn't be made to feel otherwise :)

There's no reason to feel guilty at all! The space you can provide is absolutely fine! And with a run and laptime, you will have some very happy pigs!

Also, welcome to the forum :)

Please don't feel guilty. I'm a little concerned that you say you feel berated. That isn't the case. I hope we have reassured you that your set up is fine . You are going to be a great guinea pig owner.

Oh hun, you shouldn't feel guilty, and it saddens me you've been made to feel this way.

An insulated shed with a heater would be fine, and they'd have more space, if this is more ideal for you then heck, go with it!

And also, as others have said 120 is within the guidelines. The 2x3 c&c with a hayloft seemed a good idea too!

Do what is best for you.

X

Your rescue would not allow the piggies to be rehomed with you if you were not meeting required standards! The RSPCA have specified minimum cage sizes for a reason, and your 120 would meet this! The fact that you are also planning for their run time is brilliant.

Forumers care greatly about piggy welfare, and whilst some can dedicate whole rooms to their pigs, others have limited space and do the best they can. Either way, you clearly want the best for your new furry family members and I hope that you don't feel guilt as you are giving two rescue piggies a loving home :)

Don't worry, if you are a shed is good with happy, free range piggys. I am having to convince my parents because in a few weeks my piggys will be inside :)... but in a 120cm long :(
Try to give them lots of pen time instead and keep changing hidey holes so they have a new environment to explore!:)

Please don't feel guilty. Your guineas sound like they will have a lovely life with you. Enjoy them :D

Hey hi there! You are taking in piggies who need a new home, you are offering a lifetime of love and TLC with caring owners. They will think they have landed in piggy heaven. You have done all your research too and are to have a huge pat on the back for that alone. We all have to fit our piggies into our various houses and lifestyles but I think you will be a fabulous piggy mum so please don't beat yourself up about anything x

Who made you feel guilty? If I was you I would go and blow a HUGE raspberry at them! You have clearly given a lot of thought to the life you want your piggies to have and it sounds like you have got a great setup. Just the fact that you feel guilty means that you are going to be a wonderful piggy mummy!

I don't know who has been berating you, but I think that your set up just sounds fine.
Have you been on American forums? Their ideas around guinea pig care are very different to the UK because of outside predators and extreme temperatures.
Welcome!

ignore whoever has been berating you because your setup is within the guidelines! Its ideal for your boys and they will love it! dont listen to the people who have been making you feel guilty!

THEY SHOULD FEEL GUILTY!

They have done a bad thing..

Your piggies wil love you forever for taking them in..xx Piggy slave

Thanks everyone, you've all made me feel better. My cage is all ready for their homecoming next weekend and I think it looks lovely. They're going to be given A+ love and care so I'm confident that they'll be happy boys x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back