• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sara

Hi, I was wondering if anyone is able to help me. One of my guineas has really dry feet, one of the pads on both her front feet are hard and rough but do not appear to be causing her any discomfort. None of the others have these symptoms and they all live together in a large area that is cleaned out every 3rd day. They have plenty of fruit and veg, toenails are clipped regularly and they are just generally spoilt piggies lol.
Does anyone know of any reason for this odd footliness?
Thank you! x Sara x

Hi Sara and welcome to the forum! :)

What bedding have you got your piggy on? Maybe that has something to do with the dryness?

Never had a piggy with dry pads so can't help much on that. I'm sure a dab of cream on them will soften them up.

xx Kelly xx

They're on newspaper and shredded paper...think I'm gonna put a dab of E45 on them, see if that helps clear it up! There's 2 of us on this name btw, Lucy and Sara. It's Lucy at the mo, think I'm gonna create my own name! :)

Hi Lucy! ;D

Try putting your pigs on hay too, it might be that the paper in itself is too dry and hard, causing their pads to do the same.

E45 will be fine on their feet.

xx Kelly xx

Thanks for all your advice :)

They have hay down, too, and we've had them on other bedding - Medibed and we use hay everywhere if we have no shredded paper left. The strange thing is, is that the other three are having no feet problems whatsoever, it's just Apricot.

Vetbed would be nice, but i have a feeling it would be very difficult to keep clean and rotate the vetbed with four. They also live in quite a large area, so i'm not sure how many we'd need. How often do you have to wash the vetbed? And what sizes to they come in?

Mine love to have Gorgeous Guineas cocoa butter cream on their feet.

Sara said:
Thanks for all your advice :)

They have hay down, too, and we've had them on other bedding - Medibed and we use hay everywhere if we have no shredded paper left. The strange thing is, is that the other three are having no feet problems whatsoever, it's just Apricot.

Vetbed would be nice, but i have a feeling it would be very difficult to keep clean and rotate the vetbed with four. They also live in quite a large area, so i'm not sure how many we'd need. How often do you have to wash the vetbed? And what sizes to they come in?

I have vetbeds all in my hutch upstairs and downstairs and also in the 4ft x 3ft run its a very big area.

CIMG1382.jpg

I wash my on day 6. every day i hoover out the poo and pick up hay. I stick newspaper underneath to absorb the wee. even on day 6 the vetbeds are dry. If you have 4 you might want to wash on day 4/5 maybe. you can buy a big roll and cut to size that is what i did.

how do vet beds work? i dont think they sell those over here in the states.

princessguinea said:
how do vet beds work? i dont think they sell those over here in the states.

Vetbed Original is the original green-backed veterinary bedding first manufactured over 20 years ago, and now used and recommended by vets, breeders, kennels & catteries and domestic pet owners alike. Many people have tried to copy it over the years but none has produced the quality and durability of our Vetbed Original. Customers come up to us at Crufts and say they have had their Vetbed for anything from 10 years to 20 years!

Very long lasting – users tell us Vetbed lasts and lasts
Machine washable – over and over again
Keeps your pet warm and cosy
Recommended by vets and the one they use most
Hygienic, non-irritant and non-allergenic
Excellent drainage properties
Can be used at home, in kennels and catteries, and when travelling
Available in a variety of different colours and sizes
Loved by pets and their owner

just copied this from http://www.vetbed.co.uk/smallanimals/vetbed.html

A roll of VetBed sounds like a good idea...do you know where i could get one of those from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back