• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea is acting odd

kait

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am doing everything i can for her. But i absolutely cannot get to a vet until monday. Please tell me if my guinea is going to die. Her leg is twitching, she is lethargic, will only eat if i put it in front of her face, only drinks when i do the same, just wants to cuddle, and feels a little warmer than normal. Please help, I'm worried sick. Is there anything i can do to make her comfy and in less pain until i can get her better help?

Hi,I'm sorry that your piggie is ill.are you able to mash up some pellets to syringe feed ?it sounds like you need an urgent vet NOW.please look through the illness guides to read some advise and support.i am trying to link these but have failed !i hope you can get to a vet soon.

@kait We aren't vets and haven't seen your pig so we really can't tell you either way.

We can only recommend you go to a vet straight away if you're worried. There should be an emergency vet in your area.

I am doing everything i can for her. But i absolutely cannot get to a vet until monday. Please tell me if my guinea is going to die. Her leg is twitching, she is lethargic, will only eat if i put it in front of her face, only drinks when i do the same, just wants to cuddle, and feels a little warmer than normal. Please help, I'm worried sick. Is there anything i can do to make her comfy and in less pain until i can get her better help?

Hi!

I am very sorry.

We can unfortunately not tell you whether your guinea pig is going to make it just from your post. As you know yourself, your guinea pig is seriously ill and may be going into organ failure. :(
If you do not have access to an out-of-hours or 24 hours vet (have you googled for you area?), please see a vet as a life and death emergency first thing tomorrow morning.

However, we can help you with some tips what you can do in the meantime:
Please take the time to carefully read this guide link below. It takes you through the various aspects of care with what you have at home or easily available as best as you can to give your piggy as much of a chance as possible (including what you can do if your guinea pig is not making it in time for a vet appointment).
I cannot repeat all the tips in there (which have taken me over a day to write down) in just two easy sentences, but I can guarantee that I have done my best to make the guide as practical and comprehensive as possible so you have some experienced advice available at every stage and at any time of the day and night: Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Please step in with syringe feeding as long as your piggy is accepting food. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daiy food intake is hay and not veg, which should make only about 10%. Mushed up pellets will do in an emergency. If you cannot get a needle-free syringe from a pharmacy and cut off the tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow fibre to come through, then use a teaspoon.
NEVER just squirt any food and water into the mouth. If your guinea pig is too weak to swallow, that can easily go down the wrong way.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Make sure that it is as comfy as you can make it. Unfortunately, it is going to be a very long and anxious night for you as you get ideally up once or twice to check on it or stay up all night.

Fingers very firmly crossed!

Hi!

I am very sorry.

We can unfortunately not tell you whether your guinea pig is going to make it just from your post. As you know yourself, your guinea pig is seriously ill and may be going into organ failure. :(
If you do not have access to an out-of-hours or 24 hours vet (have you googled for you area?), please see a vet as a life and death emergency first thing tomorrow morning.

However, we can help you with some tips what you can do in the meantime:
Please take the time to carefully read this guide link below. It takes you through the various aspects of care with what you have at home or easily available as best as you can to give your piggy as much of a chance as possible (including what you can do if your guinea pig is not making it in time for a vet appointment).
I cannot repeat all the tips in there (which have taken me over a day to write down) in just two easy sentences, but I can guarantee that I have done my best to make the guide as practical and comprehensive as possible so you have some experienced advice available at every stage and at any time of the day and night: Emergency and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Please step in with syringe feeding as long as your piggy is accepting food. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daiy food intake is hay and not veg, which should make only about 10%. Mushed up pellets will do in an emergency. If you cannot get a needle-free syringe from a pharmacy and cut off the tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow fibre to come through, then use a teaspoon.
NEVER just squirt any food and water into the mouth. If your guinea pig is too weak to swallow, that can easily go down the wrong way.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Make sure that it is as comfy as you can make it. Unfortunately, it is going to be a very long and anxious night for you as you get ideally up once or twice to check on it.

Fingers very firmly crossed!
you have been the most helpful of every one i have asked! Thank you so much!

you have been the most helpful of every one i have asked! Thank you so much!

How are you getting on now? I hope that your little one has made it through the night!

As a long term owner, I have sat in years past often enough with a very ill/dying piggy in years before we had out-of-hours services often enough to know what you are going through and what information you are looking for. :(

Back