• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Losing Hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

zak

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Can someone help with identifying my guineas condition? He has long hair but I cant get rid of these dry spots on his skin that make him lose hair on those spots. It looks like human dandruff. I feed him everyday with Supreme Science selective food so he will eat all of his food and also timothy hay. I give him vitamin c in his water and spot clean his cage everyday and full clean every week. Any help will be appreciated greatly!
1415911081762.jpg 1415911127683.jpg 1415913215665.jpg

Hello. Welcome to the forum. Your guinea pig needs to see a vet. If you wish to give your guinea pig vitamin c then the best way is through tablets. Adding it to water dilutes it so much that the piggy does not get the correct dose.

I agree with Piggyfan, he needs a vet for a proper diagnosis but that looks fungal to me, especially with the scurf on the end of the hair. I recommend treating with Imaverol dips but see what the vet says first. Please note that if the vet suggests a culture most types of fungal won't show up, only Ringworm which I don't think this is.

Hello :wel: To the forum.

To me that looks like it is fungal. You really need to get to a vet to have it diagnosed and get the correct treatment. It will be uncomfortable for your guinea. Any others will possibly need treating too .

Take your guinea pig to the vet for a proper diagnosis, but it could be a result of dry skin or a fungal. How often do you bathe them?

I and my GP Salvatore have been through the exact same thing in the past two weeks. My vet agrees with me and the others here, that it is a fungus infection, but probably not ringworm. We discussed giving him itrafungol (we do have that here), but because of the expense of the medicine, my vet suggested that I simply continue with what I am doing, which is bathing Sal and, while he is still damp, rubbing in a liquid mixture of water, hypoallergenic lotion (for the dryness) and clotrimazole (for the fungus). If I do this on a regular basis Sal's hair grows back and the flakiness stops and he has no itching. We don't have a great deal of the guinea pig medicines over here that you have there, nor do we have the cavy savvy doctors.
Regardless of what I say, you need to follow the suggestion others here have mentioned of taking the little guy to a veterinarian. I hope he gets better real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back