• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Lynx Has Freaked Me Out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou1975

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Broccoli.....I thought it was full of vit c and great for the pigs. Mine eat it every day! And love it!

But, looking on Guinea Lynx says NO NO NO!

Help me, please!

Also, do I add vit c to their water or not?

Sometimes I think the internet is a curse...too many opinions!

*develops migraine*

broccoli is fine for most piggies (some get gassy from it) and can be eaten a couple of times a week :)

a healthy piggy on a balanced diet (hays, grass, leafy greens ) won't need any vitamin c supplements. putting anything in water isn't the best way either as you can't monitor how much they get. hays and grass contain vitamin c aswell as other greens and vegetables :)

i find check at least 3 websites, they all have different opinions, some would only have guinea pigs eat fresh organic grass and hay, have a climate controlled room and have someone watching at all times, just in case.
but remember they are rodents, they are freakin tough.
btw strawberries have move vit c then oranges

That's great. Thank you both so much.
So;
Hay & nuggets every day?
Broccoli or kale or Romaine lettuce every day?.
Apples & other treats twice a week? .

I feed mine brocali , a small piece 2 or 3 times a week

By the way Lou, guinea linx freaks a lot of people out lol
They are so over the top , if you stuck to all there guide lines you would end up weaing gloves before you handled your pig

I give mine a little bit of broccoli - or cabbage or spring green daily - only a little bit. Too much can give them bloat.

I think a happy medium is the safe way to go with food in the cruciferous group - the cabbage family, including Kale, Cabbage, Spring Greens, Broccoli, Brussels and Couliflower leaves. Out of these Cabbage and Brussels are perhaps the most likely to cause gas or bloat, or other digestive issues.
So to my thinking I tend to avoid cabbage and go for the middle ground with the others, and give something from that group (usually choosing Kale or Broccoli) around 3 - 4 times a week, but in small amounts, very small amounts!

Yeah mine only get broccoli once a week or so, but mainly as they don't really like it! With my old pigs I used to give it daily as I didn't realise you weren't meant to and they lived to a grand old age so don't worry :) You can always cut down a bit now if you are worried but depends on the piggy and what else you feed.

Yeah mine only get broccoli once a week or so, but mainly as they don't really like it! With my old pigs I used to give it daily as I didn't realise you weren't meant to and they lived to a grand old age so don't worry :) You can always cut down a bit now if you are worried but depends on the piggy and what else you feed.

Broccoli.....I thought it was full of vit c and great for the pigs. Mine eat it every day! And love it!

But, looking on Guinea Lynx says NO NO NO!

Help me, please!

Also, do I add vit c to their water or not?

Sometimes I think the internet is a curse...too many opinions!

*develops migraine*

I feed broccoli about once a week. it is however not recommended for guinea pigs with bladder issues or a tender digestion (gassing/bloating issues), as it is comparatively higher in calcium and it can contribute to gassing.
You may find this thread here helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

To be honest, when you look more closely, most foods have issues in some way or other. Just try to mix it up, so you only feed a little of everything and nothing too often (apart from the foods that we recommend for a daily diet), and you should be ok.

Please do NOT add vitamin C to the water. Guinea pigs drink noticeably less when their water has additives, and the water will turn green in no time flat, especially in warm weather, as the vitamin will promote the growth of algae. Rather give a slice of pepper or a sprig of coriander/cilantro daily or syringe any extra vitamin directly.

It all depends on the pig- i've read many charts about veg that terrified me! Over the course of a month or two, i created my own chart with green, amber and red headings. I put veg in the different sections for often i should feed regarding their calcium levels and if they cause gas in my pigs. I have 1,2 or 3 plus symbols beside the veg for vit c content so i make sure they have enough in each feed. I was so used to using it i dont really need to refer to it anymore! Each of my girls need their feeds altered sometimes- it really just depends on the piggy!

I have never used the drops and never would. Vit c has such a short period where its actually viable that i dont see it being beneficial at all. And as already mentioned, it might put them off their water and is impossible to measure how much is taken in. They should get their vit c from their veg- peppers are the best source and also low in calcium and phosphorus- one of the best things they can eat x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back