• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Passed Away

Bella2020

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My little 3 and a half year old girl passed away this afternoon, we had taken her to the vets last week as she had an eye ulcer and she was put on some drops and antibio but she started to get worse yesterday so we booked an appointment this afternoon but unfortunately she suddenly passed away.

I hope she was not in pain as she was having what looked like a fit and was rolling her head around and it was so scary to see but there was nothing I could do she passed very quickly.

What I want to know is it normal for one of their eyes to bulge and turn very stark white around the pupil after death? the other eye is the same as it was (as she died with her eyes open) however the eye with the white rim is the one where her ulcer had been.

I am so sad and keep getting paranoid that she hasn't passed away so keep having to check on her before we can bury her tomorrow morning

Please let me know regarding her little eye

I’m sorry for your loss. I don’t know about the eye bulging but it could be due to the ulcer. Take good care of yourself and take the time to work through your grief. You did the best for her you could, and that’s all that matters. That and she felt loved.

I’m so sorry for your loss :( I can’t comment about the eye but be kind to yourself as you grieve. There’s nothing you could have done and she wouldn’t have suffered x

I‘m so sorry you lost Bella so suddenly, she would not have known what was happening and not suffered X
Sleep tight little lady 🌈
I think the eye that has turn white that had the ulcer will just be a normal part of what happens after death, this eye tissue May have been infected so it’s more likely go discoloured first. It’s perfectly normal and nothing to worry about x

My little 3 and a half year old girl passed away this afternoon, we had taken her to the vets last week as she had an eye ulcer and she was put on some drops and antibio but she started to get worse yesterday so we booked an appointment this afternoon but unfortunately she suddenly passed away.

I hope she was not in pain as she was having what looked like a fit and was rolling her head around and it was so scary to see but there was nothing I could do she passed very quickly.

What I want to know is it normal for one of their eyes to bulge and turn very stark white around the pupil after death? the other eye is the same as it was (as she died with her eyes open) however the eye with the white rim is the one where her ulcer had been.

I am so sad and keep getting paranoid that she hasn't passed away so keep having to check on her before we can bury her tomorrow morning

Please let me know regarding her little eye

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss.

The bulging eye may be caused by an infection bursting in or behind the eye that seems to have caused her death. Eye infections that can suddenly swell the eye and even burst it or abscesses behind the eye ball (retrobulbar abscesses) do occasionally happen.
You have done the right thing in booking her in promptly and have not failed her. Sometimes these things just run away so quickly that there is nothing you can do, unfortunately. Please do not feel guilty. Soul searching and looking for answers is a very normal reaction after a sudden and somewhat traumatic death; even more so if it is your first. :(

Dying is unfortunately much more physical than most people expect but please try to take consolation that the end has come comparatively quickly so any suffering was short.

You may find the information via this link here helpful in making sense of what has happened, understanding your feelings and reactions and what to do for any piggy companions in the next days and weeks: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

So sorry for your loss.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
You gave your girl the gift of a loving and caring home.
Hold on to that as you work through the grief

Back