• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig and fleas

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey, this morning i had a flea jump on me and i assumed it come from my guinea pig cage so i have cleaned out the whole cage and bathed my guinea pigs with manuka honey shampoo they are now all soft and there doesn’t seem to be anymore fleas anywhere on them as ive combed through all their hair.. should i leave them alone now or do you reckon i should get some spot on flea stuff to make sure? Also are static mites dangerous to piggies whats the best remedies to get rid of those as the shampoo i use doesn’t seem to get rid and one of my piggies seems to have them on his white fur...

Hi there!
In regards to fleas, piggies don't carry them. Cat fleas will jump on to feed but will not live on or around them. Do you have any dogs or cats at all?
Static lice can be really irritating and itchy for a pig but sadly most over the counter treatments aren't strong enough! Your best bet is a vet visit so they can prescribe you a stronger treatment, usually Ivermectin.

Hi there!
In regards to fleas, piggies don't carry them. Cat fleas will jump on to feed but will not live on or around them. Do you have any dogs or cats at all?
Static lice can be really irritating and itchy for a pig but sadly most over the counter treatments aren't strong enough! Your best bet is a vet visit so they can prescribe you a stronger treatment, usually Ivermectin.
Oh right yeah i have a dog so thats probably the case, thank you for the advice. I’m not certain on the static lice to be honest as it doesn’t seem to be bothering my piggy but i will keep an eye out and if i start seeing excessive scratching i’ll take a trip.

Back