• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

guinea pig behaviour

joanne marie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello All, I'm just after some advice. I got my 3 guinea pigs around 3 months ago (3 sisters) and one of them (molly) always makes a rumbling noise and her her stands on end (almost like a dog will do when they are uncertain about something) the other 3 never do it its just molly and I'm worrying shes unhappy but i just dont know what it could be, they get plenty of exercise each day veggies etc. Could it be she doesnt like being with the other to guinea pigs? Thanks

Hello All, I'm just after some advice. I got my 3 guinea pigs around 3 months ago (3 sisters) and one of them (molly) always makes a rumbling noise and her her stands on end (almost like a dog will do when they are uncertain about something) the other 3 never do it its just molly and I'm worrying shes unhappy but i just dont know what it could be, they get plenty of exercise each day veggies etc. Could it be she doesnt like being with the other to guinea pigs? Thanks

Hi!

Rumble-strutting is mild dominance behaviour in all piggies. You generally see it less in sows than in boars and then more often when they come into season. Your girls must be coming up to 6 months when hormones in sows are running high the same as in boars although this usually doesn't lead to fall-outs, just some wilder seasons and more dominance behaviours.
Even spayed sows will rumble-strut and mount when it comes to dominance in a fairly evenly matched pair.

Here is more information on behaviours:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back