• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig being excessively angry

Kazzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig (teddy) is being excessively angry, and its very out of character for him.
We have had him since January, and he is around 15 months. A few weeks ago I got another 2 baby girls. We had been keeping them separate and it's never lead to issues until now.
Aroung 4 hours ago I let the girls have some floor times, and then the boys (first time we had done this, normally the boys go first and theres never been an issue, we wont be doing this again).

After around 10 minutes teddy started high pitched wheeking, I assumed this was a mating call or something because he could smell the girls had been there. It then lead to teddy being aggressive to his brother, teeth chattering, attempting to climb onto and bite him.

After a while I took them out and held them for a while, then put them back into their cage. Teddy wouldnt calm down and kept running around and continues to wheek really high pitched. After a while we took him out again and put him into a clean play pen. This continued for a while

Now, every 15-20 minutes teddy stops what hes doing and starts high pitched wheeking loudly again. There is still a little teeth chattering and rumbling but not as bad as it was 3 hours ago, but its still completely unlike him.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can calm him down, and try to get him back to his usual self?

My guinea pig (teddy) is being excessively angry, and its very out of character for him.
We have had him since January, and he is around 15 months. A few weeks ago I got another 2 baby girls. We had been keeping them separate and it's never lead to issues until now.
Aroung 4 hours ago I let the girls have some floor times, and then the boys (first time we had done this, normally the boys go first and theres never been an issue, we wont be doing this again).

After around 10 minutes teddy started high pitched wheeking, I assumed this was a mating call or something because he could smell the girls had been there. It then lead to teddy being aggressive to his brother, teeth chattering, attempting to climb onto and bite him.

After a while I took them out and held them for a while, then put them back into their cage. Teddy wouldnt calm down and kept running around and continues to wheek really high pitched. After a while we took him out again and put him into a clean play pen. This continued for a while

Now, every 15-20 minutes teddy stops what hes doing and starts high pitched wheeking loudly again. There is still a little teeth chattering and rumbling but not as bad as it was 3 hours ago, but its still completely unlike him.

Has anyone got any advice on how I can calm him down, and try to get him back to his usual self?

Hi and welcome

OUCH!

I think you have learned that you ALWAYS have to handle, feed, groom and roam boars first on any shared ground; ideally you wipe before and after any piggy lot. Sow pheromones can REALLY upset boars (especially from sows coming to or being in season) and lead to a fall-out between boars.

You can find a list of all the boar do's and dont's in our comprehensive boar guide here (chapter 3). It is well worth reading in order to avoid finding them all the hard way. Unfortunately there some major quirks that can make life difficult: A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

All you can do is wait until he settles down again sometime over the next two days or so. Don't try to handle him while he is riled up and leave him with his mate in the cage until after they have completely calmed down again. :(

Back