• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Being Strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat_and_Gizzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig, Gizzy, has been doing this thing lately where she has been clattering her teeth randomly when I give her food. She never did this until the two males (who are in another room) began doing it towards each other (they didn't get along). She only does it during feeding and when I leave the room though. I play with here for 3+ hours a day and feed her veggies every morning. I thought it was trust issue but everytime I open her cage door she will run over and 'kiss' my nose. She is the only guinea pig in her cage due to me not having enough space/money for more than one (the two males are my brothers). She came from the pet store at 2 weeks old also. Is there a reason for her chattering her teeth when I leave/give her food? Please help!
-Kat and Gizzy

Is she doing it just before you give her the veggies? It could be shes telling you off for being too slow. Some piggies do this. She may just be a grumpy little madam who wants her food now!

My boy Brillo used to chatter his teeth before I hand fed him veggies! He was so impatient! He wanted his veggies and he wanted them now! :))

I have the occasional piggy that chatters softly at me when I'm not quick enough with the food!

There are two different teeth chatters. The mild one is just to express displeasure.
The high intensity one during introductions or clashes signals unfriendliness and a potential attack if the warning wasn't headed. it can also cover up fear during an introduction.

She does it when she sees me grabbing her food. I guess she is just very moody :) but why does she do it when I leave the room also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back