• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig bleeding

pebbles and poppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 6 year old female guinea pig Poppy has had an off and on problem and it’s reoccurred again. Every so often she bleeds fresh blood from the bottom area. Each time we go to the vet they feel her and say it’s either ovarian cysts or bladder stones. They give us antibiotics and each time it seems to clear it up temporarily. But it’s frustrating because their is obviously a bigger problem. I would never want to put her through prolonged pain, but she seems to be happy ( eating, drinking and moving, it would seem wrong to put her down ) although she is losing a lot of blood! I’ve been to 3 vets and each time they say she would be too old to go through any surgery, and scans/x rays are unnecessary. Do I treat it again with antibiotics like the previous 3 or 4 times?
Thank you!

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
In the first instance I would ask for either scans or an x-ray.
This would certainly help rule out some problems and may help diagnose others.
I do not think 6 is too old for the very light sedation required for these tests.

It is good the antibiotics help, but clearly they are just a temporary solution, but without a proper diagnosis it is impossible to come up with an effective treatment plan for your girl long term.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Please have your girl seen by the vet again. Any bleeding is an emergency. Have they ever scanned her to confirm?

pebbles and poppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We will take her to the vet ASAP. She has not had any scans just antibiotics before. :(

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would push for an ultrasound scan and X-rays to rule out problems with the reproductive system (ovarian cysts) / problems in the womb and bladder stones and any other problems within the bladder / urinary tract

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
We will take her to the vet ASAP. She has not had any scans just antibiotics before. :(
It might be best to look for a cavy savvy vet to assess her. My main reason for saying this is that antibiotics are not a treatment for bladder stones or ovarian cysts (though can be prescribed to prevent infection caused by stones) so you may have a vet who doesn't have much experience with piggies

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, tell them you won't settle for antibotics, its not going to cure the problem. You need a full diagnosis, if it was a child you would do exactly the same, additionally I would make sure the vets were exotic and cavy savvy.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Are the vets she was seen by experienced in treating guinea pigs? Please can you add your location to your profile - county/state or country is enough. I’ll link the vet locator below but we’re not sure where you are.
Vet Locator