Guinea pig bonding

JamesR81

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon all,

I have recently bought 2 female guinea pigs from pets at home both within a couple of weeks of each other, and just recently I have been trying to see if it’s possible to put them both in one big cage, but just recently when me and my girlfriend have been holding the guinea pigs together both very close to each other, the guinea pigs seem to try and nibble each other and seem like they are fighting.

What is the best way to stop this? I am due to go on holiday in a couple of weeks time and need to get them use to each other, as they are staying at my parents house in an outdoor cage together and I don’t want them fighting or biting each other.

I look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions soon.

Thank you 😊

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Read the bonding threads on the forum.
They are brilliant.
I'm in the process of bonding 2 pairs of sows and the guides were invaluable.

It can be a nerve wracking experience as they sort out dominance.

But really, the best advice is read the guides and then come back with questions.

Pictures please - we love piggy pictures and welcome to the forum

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon all,

I have recently bought 2 female guinea pigs from pets at home both within a couple of weeks of each other, and just recently I have been trying to see if it’s possible to put them both in one big cage, but just recently when me and my girlfriend have been holding the guinea pigs together both very close to each other, the guinea pigs seem to try and nibble each other and seem like they are fighting.

What is the best way to stop this? I am due to go on holiday in a couple of weeks time and need to get them use to each other, as they are staying at my parents house in an outdoor cage together and I don’t want them fighting or biting each other.

I look forward to hearing everyone’s opinions soon.

Thank you 😊
Hi and welcome!

They want to be with each other!

Please read these two guide here, so you can understand and judge bonding/interactive behaviours and do the introduction properly. If you do the bonding as soon as you have got a few free hours, then your girls should be stably bonded by the time you go on holiday.
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Sow Behaviour

Make sure that you double-check the gender of your piggies before you put them together. Mis-sexing by shop personnel and breeders is sadly still very common. Sexing Guide

Please make sure that your girls are indoors in the coolest room over the next couple of days if you are in part of the UK that is affected by the heat spike and take the time to read our hot weather and heat stroke guide.
It can save lives, especially in babies whose immune system is still under construction!
Hot weather management and heat strokes

These guides are part of our new owners' help and information package to give them as good and smooth a start as possible. You will hopefully find them very useful as they specifically address all the areas we get the most questions and cries for help about. Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

As you are about to go on holiday, please also ask your parents to read up on guinea pig care.
You will also find the tips in this guide here helpful: Tips For Organising Your Holiday Absence

Since we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and then down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you!