• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig breathing loudly

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 6 year old male guinea pig who seems to be breathing loudly. I noticed it a month ago and brought him to the vet because I was scared he had a Respiratory infection. The vet said he was fine and there was nothing wrong but I can still hear him breathing (Not as much as before). It sort of sounds kind of squeaky, it isent to loud though, I need to go up close to him to hear. When he's squeaking I hear a weird breathing noise. besides for this he is in good health and hasn't been loosing weight, is this normal? I know that hearing your guinea pig breath is normal but I feel like its louder then it should be.

If they have dust from hay for example, in their airways then it can make breathing more noisy, however, only a vet can confirm whether there is anything medical going on. It would be best to have him seen again if you are concerned

If they have dust from hay for example, in their airways then it can make breathing more noisy, however, only a vet can confirm whether there is anything medical going on. It would be best to have him seen again if you are concerned
Ok thank you! ill try buying a different type of hay and see if hes still breathing loudly.

I have a 6 year old male guinea pig who seems to be breathing loudly. I noticed it a month ago and brought him to the vet because I was scared he had a Respiratory infection. The vet said he was fine and there was nothing wrong but I can still hear him breathing (Not as much as before). It sort of sounds kind of squeaky, it isent to loud though, I need to go up close to him to hear. When he's squeaking I hear a weird breathing noise. besides for this he is in good health and hasn't been loosing weight, is this normal? I know that hearing your guinea pig breath is normal but I feel like its louder then it should be.

Hi!

Have you ever held your ear close to his nose, then the throat and then his chest? This will help you to work out where the obstruction in the airways is sitting.
Guinea pig airways are very narrow and quite small. They are also not good mouth breathers so even just a bit of dust being breathed in will result in some rather alarming noises.

Some guinea pigs are more sensitive to irritants like hay dust, house dust, smoke or perfumes; dry air can also cause breathing issues, especially in older piggies etc.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

Please remove any potential irritants, try another brand of hay (dust-free quality can vary from brand to brand) and see whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage can bring relief, in which case you want to look for more permanent humidifying measures.

Hi!

Have you ever held your ear close to his nose, then the throat and then his chest? This will help you to work out where the obstruction in the airways is sitting.
Guinea pig airways are very narrow and quite small. They are also not good mouth breathers so even just a bit of dust being breathed in will result in some rather alarming noises.

Some guinea pigs are more sensitive to irritants like hay dust, house dust, smoke or perfumes; dry air can also cause breathing issues, especially in older piggies etc.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

Please remove any potential irritants, try another brand of hay (dust-free quality can vary from brand to brand) and see whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage can bring relief, in which case you want to look for more permanent humidifying measures.
I checked and it seems like the noise is coming from his nose. Could it be becouse of the cold weather? or is it probably just dust?

I checked and it seems like the noise is coming from his nose. Could it be becouse of the cold weather? or is it probably just dust?

As this is has been going on for several weeks, it is most like just hay dust and the much more complex home enironment. Some piggies are much more sensitive to it then others when they are coming from a rather sterile commercial breeder place and then pet shop.

Please take the time to read the link and try the tips in my last post; it could be any of the irritants listed but hay dust is the most common one. I would however not worry about illness.

As this is has been going on for several weeks, it is most like just hay dust and the much more complex home enironment. Some piggies are much more sensitive to it then others when they are coming from a rather sterile commercial breeder place and then pet shop.

Please take the time to read the link and try the tips in my last post; it could be any of the irritants listed but hay dust is the most common one. I would however not worry about illness.
Ok thanks a ton! I was very worried but now I feel a bit better :)

Back