• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig chirping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig Ludwig was just chirping. Mum, dad and I were sitting in the living room. I was playing with my camera, trying to get the recording to save smaller when suddenly this chirping sound came out of no where. We looked over and saw it was Ludwig happily chirping away.
It was adorable!

Sadly, I quickly took my memory card out of my computer (as I had been testing it) and put it in my camera to try and record the noise but he had stopped by then.

How rare is it for guinea pigs to do this? Ludwigs a male and we've only had him about 3 months, give or take. ^_^

Very rare, I have heard people have kept piggies for 20 odd years and have never heard it. I have kept pigs for 9 years and never heard mine do it.

-Carma

I heard one of mine doing it yesterday, Its really strange, I'm not sure which one as they were all squashed up in their bed. Does anyone know why they make that sound? Next time I shall grab my phone and try to record it...:(|)

Very rare, I have heard people have kept piggies for 20 odd years and have never heard it. I have kept pigs for 9 years and never heard mine do it.

-Carma

Wow really? That's really cool.
Ludwig was just happily laying in his bed on the top level when he started doing it.
It was really adorable x)

I heard one of mine doing it yesterday, Its really strange, I'm not sure which one as they were all squashed up in their bed. Does anyone know why they make that sound? Next time I shall grab my phone and try to record it...:(|)

It's adorable isn't it?

I had wanted to record it but he stopped before I could get my camera turned on. xD

Cinnamon did chriping weeks back while i was cleaning out there box, its was so strange, i want to know what it means.

Ive got a chirping Guinea Pig, Apparantly its really rare, ive heard people say that ypu are supposed to feel priviliged if you have a chirping Guinea Pig. I hadnt heard it for ages, i lost one of my guinea pigs in september who lived with the chirping one, i was always unsure which one it was chirping and didnt know if i would hear it again.
Last night i was woken up by chirping so id say it was Cheryl who was the chirper but hadnt heard it for about 9 maybe 12 months.

I was woken one morning by a chirping sound. It stopped just as I got to the living room but my money was on my youngest boar at the time Dylan. He was perched up on the food dish with his head in the air. Chewie and the two pogettes were all lying there looking stunned. Haven't heard it again. This was before Dylan and Chewie's big fall out. Dylans wee personality seems to have changed since he hit the hormones. He used to be far more docile. Don't know if he would do it again.

I thought mine was chirping the other day. I was so happy untill i realised it was the smoke alarm needing a new battery :( gutted haha

I thought mine was chirping the other day. I was so happy untill i realised it was the smoke alarm needing a new battery :( gutted haha

lol aww thats such a shame.
Ludwig did it twice yesterday. It was lovely =)

3am last night I was woken up by chirping! x) Not sure which of my girls was doing it but it was lovely to hear. I made sure the OH heard so I knew I wasn't going mad!

This doesn't mean they are stressed like it says on wiki does it? Felix was just chirping like a bird, pretty funny and cute!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcFQ4hMfXo[/ame]

Chirping is unfortunately a sign of stress. :(
A pig of mine always did that when another one was sick and I know somebody - her pig always does that too sadly just one day befor another pig dies... She's had that three times now...

Chirping is unfortunately a sign of stress. :(
A pig of mine always did that when another one was sick and I know somebody - her pig always does that too sadly just one day befor another pig dies... She's had that three times now...

Well do you think it could be different with each guinea pig? as I don't understand that considering it is still stated as a phenomenon? Since I cannot find any logical scientific information on it and my pigs are both eating, drinking, pop-corning. Both my pigs have been to the vet recently and are very healthy and quite happy.

Well do you think it could have a different meaning with each guinea pig? I cannot find any logical/scientific information on why it is still a phenomenon. Both my 7 month old pigs have been to the vet about 3 months ago and are very happy / healthy; popcorning like they were still babies.

I do appreciate the insight and i will keep looking for more information and am very sorry to hear that you and the other member have experienced this rare treat on bad terms, but I must be Optimistic as I or my vet haven't seen anything wrong with them.

Thanks!

Chirping is different to singing - chirping like in that video, does sound like a distressed noise but singing is not a distressed noise, and its not quite as blunt as the sound in that video, its more ...like a cross between wheeking and purring, Skit did it once, he was popcorning and bouncing inbetween.

Chirping is different to singing - chirping like in that video, does sound like a distressed noise but singing is not a distressed noise, and its not quite as blunt as the sound in that video, its more ...like a cross between wheeking and purring, Skit did it once, he was popcorning and bouncing inbetween.

Such strange animals , Honestly don't know why he would be distressed...weird.

There are many thoughts on chirping......

I think from what other members here and my other piggie friends it depends on the piggie x)
I did have a recording of a friends piggie chirping it was beautiful....he used to do it regularly, sadly my old phone wont let me transfer it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back