• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Death :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordDibDib

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I woke up this morning to find my guinea pig Bubbles dead. I'm a little concerned about how I should proceed with my other guinea pig (Squeek). Some forums have said to let Squeek see the body to be at peace but I'm not sure. another probleproblem I have is I don't know how Squeek will be in the future (lonely, sad etc.) any advice I'm pretty clueless at the minute? :(

Hello. Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry for your loss. Personally, I would not let Squeek see the body as I feel it is to traumatic. I have heard of people who do that and the piggy goes into terrible grief. Squeek will need a friend to stop him from being lonely. The best way to go about it is through your nearest rescue. They will let Squeek choose his own friend which saves getting another piggy and finding they do not get on. This link will show you your nearest rescue,
http://theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

You are welcome to write a tribute to Bubbles under the rainbow bridge thread.

I have never shown my piggies when a friend has passed but you will get others coming on here telling you that you should. It is a personal choice.

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! We generally recommend to let a piggy say good bye; reactions can vary from not interested to very upset; mostly it is rather a short acknowledgement, especially when they survivors were are aware that the other one was seriously ill and had been dying. How much a piggy grieves also very much depends on the closemenss of the bond and the personality of the grieiving piggy. Most are withdrawn for a few days, but they not stop eating completely (acute pining).

You may find this thread here helpful: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.110463/

Of course, you are very welcome to post a tribute to the one that has passed away whenever it feels right for you.

Could you please add your location to your details; we are have members from all over the world, so your long term options very much depend on where you are and so will our specific recommendations. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location, then add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back