• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

GUINEA PIG DEEP GURGLING SOUND

Angela99

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! My little Buttercup keeps making a deep gurgling noise. He doesn't show any symptoms of illness. Eats lots lol he's eyes are clear no sneezing no coughing... is this a sound of happiness? I've never heard it from him before and I've had him 1 year. He's 2 years old. I thought at first he was having trouble chewing because it sounded like teeth grinding. I'm confused and I worry. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi! My little Buttercup keeps making a deep gurgling noise. He doesn't show any symptoms of illness. Eats lots lol he's eyes are clear no sneezing no coughing... is this a sound of happiness? I've never heard it from him before and I've had him 1 year. He's 2 years old. I thought at first he was having trouble chewing because it sounded like teeth grinding. I'm confused and I worry. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome

Sadly we cannot give you an answer just from your description without a hands-on examination (not that we are qualified to replace any vet care!)

Is the gurgling coming from from the mouth/throat/nose area or from the belly area? In this case, it is likely something stuck or fluid ending up in the wrong place. If it persists, you may want to have the mouth checked. Teeth grinding is normally a sign of some pain, but in connection with gurgling in the mouth area, it could indicate an attempt to dislodge something stuck

Gurgling in the belly: The intestines should constantly glugger when you hold your ears against the belly, like a cow's guts. If they aren't or if there is very little activity then you are dealing with life-threatening GI stasis (the gut has stopped working fully or partly). If you are dealing with very audible gurgling, then your guinea pig is gassing. Please keep an eye out for serious bloating over the next 24 hours; a loud episode of gurgling can also precede the onset of GI stasis. In both cases see a vet asap; they are potentially life-threatening emergencies.

Ok thank you so much! My internet wasn't working so I just saw this! This is very good information! He's pooping regularly that's for sure so not stasis. I thought he had food stuck when I heard grinding teeth and that stopped after a minute. It's a subtle sound and I can't tell where it's coming from. He just did it again for a few minutes and now it stopped. I will read over what you wrote again and pay close attention to him. He seems healthy otherwise but I want to be safe!

Hi and welcome

Sadly we cannot give you an answer just from your description without a hands-on examination (not that we are qualified to replace any vet care!)

Is the gurgling coming from from the mouth/throat/nose area or from the belly area? In this case, it is likely something stuck or fluid ending up in the wrong place. If it persists, you may want to have the mouth checked. Teeth grinding is normally a sign of some pain, but in connection with gurgling in the mouth area, it could indicate an attempt to dislodge something stuck

Gurgling in the belly: The intestines should constantly glugger when you hold your ears against the belly, like a cow's guts. If they aren't or if there is very little activity then you are dealing with life-threatening GI stasis (the gut has stopped working fully or partly). If you are dealing with very audible gurgling, then your guinea pig is gassing. Please keep an eye out for serious bloating over the next 24 hours; a loud episode of gurgling can also precede the onset of GI stasis. In both cases see a vet asap; they are potentially life-threatening emergencies.
Also... I just realized my other Guinea pig is making some sound! Yesterday they went crazy for two hours running after each other and one was humping the other. They did this last year exact time. Do they make mating sounds in spring? There's no females around but would they make these low sounding grunts to attract females? I can't figure out how both of them would be making this strange sound. I thought it was only one of them.

I'm wondering what it is you're hearing. They do make rumbling noises as part of dominance behaviours. I would definitely agree that you should have a vet check them, but it also might be worth posting a video with sound and we might be able to identify normal sounds for you, as it's difficult with only a written description. Alternatively you could Google guinea pig noises and see if some of the noises are normal. Definitely a vet trip to be on the safe side though.

Back