Guinea pig died

pebbles and poppy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My 6 year old guinea pig poppy died this morning :( . I think she died peacefully as the others were all around her and she looked relaxed and in a sleeping position. Can anyone let me know how she died, was it just old age and was she in any pain when she passed away as I’m upset that I wasn’t there when she passed.
I will always love you poppy <3 🌈

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’m so sorry for your loss :( I’m afraid that we won’t be able to tell you how your piggy died but it sounds like she just fell asleep surrounded by her friends. It doesn’t sound like she was in pain.

Guinea pigs can die from heart attacks or strokes at any age and there’s nothing we can do to stop it.

Be gentle with yourself as you grieve x

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I am so sorry for loss. 6 is a great age, a tribute to your love and care.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I am very sorry for your loss. Sadly piggies do just die, and as they are prey animals sometimes they hide their illlness from us. Only a post mortem will give you definite answers, but I would say that 6 is a good age. If she passed peacefully surrounded by her friends that will have been a comfort to her. Sleep tight little Poppy x

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful piggy. Massive hugs to you at this very sad time. Please be kind to yourself.

Sleep well little one

RIP Poppy

x x