Guinea Pig Doesn't Like Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a soon-to-be new guinea pig owner. I have chosen my little guy from a local rescue. I will be picking him up in the next week or so, and have begun setting up a c&c cage.
I have one concern that I would love some input on:

So on his profile on his Petfinder profile, it says he does not get alone with other guinea pigs, but he is great with humans. This is concerning to me because I know how important it is to have two guinea pigs together. Is there any advice you guys could give me to make his expierience more enjoyable, and less lonely? I will spend tons of time with him, but I am not a guinea pig either (lol) so I can only do so much in terms of socializing him.

He is young, probably around a year old or less. Maybe it is just a phase? Do you think introducing him to another guinea pig will be a good idea in the future? Is it worth a try?

Thanks so much! I honestly cannot wait to adopt him. I attached a picture of him :)

Attachments

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Very, very occasionally you can find a pig that will not tolerate another whatsoever. What usually happens with adverts like you found is that two boys about the same age will be getting along fine, hit their hormones and fall out and the owners think that they can't be with other pigs. Any introduction to a new pig will have to be very carefully supervised to ensure everything is going well. Another option could be getting him neutered as he might settle better with a sow but again this can't be guaranteed and it depends if you have a vet experienced enough to be able to carry out the operation safely and deal with any complications that might arise.

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
hi there & :wel: to the forum :D

afraid i have no experience with boars, but heres a link https://theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/
for you to have a look through it may help :roll:

i think the 12-18 month stage is the most hormonal & risky stage for boars to get along, maybe take him to a rescue that does boar dating (compatibility & speed dating for guineas) he can pick his own friend that way :luv:
a boar of the same age will probably be the hardest most unstable for him to bond with, maybe either a very young or a mature adult boar would suit him best or like lady kelly suggested, find an experienced cavy savvy vet (try the locator at the top of the screen) &get him neutered so he can have a wife...... or two :hug:

He's a handsome fuzzy fellow :wub::love::drool:
xx

HanN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How helpful! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it
hi there & :wel: to the forum :D

afraid i have no experience with boars, but heres a link https://theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/
for you to have a look through it may help :roll:

i think the 12-18 month stage is the most hormonal & risky stage for boars to get along, maybe take him to a rescue that does boar dating (compatibility & speed dating for guineas) he can pick his own friend that way :luv:
a boar of the same age will probably be the hardest most unstable for him to bond with, maybe either a very young or a mature adult boar would suit him best or like lady kelly suggested, find an experienced cavy savvy vet (try the locator at the top of the screen) &get him neutered so he can have a wife...... or two :hug:

He's a handsome fuzzy fellow :wub::love::drool:
xx

HanN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Very, very occasionally you can find a pig that will not tolerate another whatsoever. What usually happens with adverts like you found is that two boys about the same age will be getting along fine, hit their hormones and fall out and the owners think that they can't be with other pigs. Any introduction to a new pig will have to be very carefully supervised to ensure everything is going well. Another option could be getting him neutered as he might settle better with a sow but again this can't be guaranteed and it depends if you have a vet experienced enough to be able to carry out the operation safely and deal with any complications that might arise.
Thank you so much for this information!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

I agree with @Lady Kelly . Boars go through a hormonal period between 4-14 years old when many that are not character matched fall out. it is often very difficult to bond them again during this time, especially when you are not very experienced. Sometimes, a young guinea pig that been separated very early and kept on its own will lose the ability to recognise itself as a guinea pig. This happens a bit more often in the US than here in Britain.

The best way forward for you may be though contacting one of these recommended guinea pig rescues in Pennsylvania (as I guess "Philly" is short for Philadelphia?); they may help you either with meet & greet at the rescue (if they can do it) or with helping you find a mate or live-alongside friend.
http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#PA

PS: As we have got members from all over the world, it would be great if you please added your state to your details to help us members from across either ocean know where you are from! ;)

Gingeypig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi hann, I'm going through a very similar situation. Our boar ginge is coming home in just over a week and he also hates other pigs. The rescue have attempted to bond him with at least two other boar piggies and he has essentially beaten the crap out of both of them :no: the rescue have advised us to have him neutered and then bonded with a girl when we have him home which is what will most likely happen. He is however happy on his own, I'd just like him to have someone he can talk to. :hug:

HanN

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the input everyone! I have considered everything you have all said. I am deciding to keep him on his own for now, but maybe I will take him to a rescue one day and see if he bonds with anyone. I am very nervous to get him neutered, but maybe that can be an option in the future as well. He also is apparently very happy by himself, but I just want him to have someone to cuddle with! We'll see! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.