• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Guinea pig ear got left ear got cut and is bald also is my guinea pig fat?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
That looks like it might be an old cut in the ear - ie not actively bleeding. It can occur if there has been a scuffle. Was it like that when you got him? Do see a vet if you are concerned

If you are feeding them unlimited amounts of hay and that hay makes up the majority of their diet (80% per day, so adding large piles of it every day), one cup of veg per day (and not feeding fruit or sugary veg items such as carrots any more than once per week) and one tablespoon of pellets per day along with giving them plenty of exercise out of their cage, then it is unlikely they will become overweight.
Ensure you weigh them both weekly so you can ensure they grow well; and check their heft (piggy BMI - you want to be able to feel a nice fat layer over the ribs but still be able to feel the ribs - the guide explains)

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Viper2500

New Born Pup
Reaction score
That looks like it might be an old cut in the ear - ie not actively bleeding. It can occur if there has been a scuffle. Was it like that when you got him? Do see a vet if you are concerned

If you are feeding them unlimited amounts of hay and that hay makes up the majority of their diet (80% per day, so adding large piles of it every day), one cup of veg per day (and not feeding fruit or sugary veg items such as carrots any more than once per week) and one tablespoon of pellets per day along with giving them plenty of exercise out of their cage, then it is unlikely they will become overweight.
Ensure you weigh them both weekly so you can ensure they grow well; and check their heft (piggy BMI - you want to be able to feel a nice fat layer over the ribs but still be able to feel the ribs - the guide explains)

Weight - Monitoring and Management
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
I feed them twice a days. No it wasn't like that when I got him, must been a fight.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Then it does sound like they have had a scuffle. If I remember rightly, your boars are teenagers and they don’t quite have enough space, so their behaviour is something to watch. Scuffles causing injuries on the face can be defensive. Ensure all hideys have two exits. You don’t want to use enclosed hideys with teenage boars as one piggy can get cornered and this is how defensive injuries can occur.

Feeding then twice a day is fine - just make sure you only give them half a portion each time then. So half a tablespoon of pellets twice a day and half a cup of veg twice a day. Make sure their hay is a large pile constantly though, don’t ever let that run out, refresh that a few of times a day if they are eating it all

Have you been weighing them?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn’t there when you got them? That looks like a healed bite. I think if it had happened with you then you would have seen a ‘raw’ wound and their behaviour may have been different. I’m just guessing though.

Have you managed to find somewhere to fit a bigger cage for them?