• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Fallen From Hutch. . . Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Regrettably, one of my guinea pigs has fallen from her hutch for the second time in three days!

However, I had her examined by a veterinarian on Tuesday evening, after the first incident - While this veterinarian is not cavy-savvy, she performed a full examination, and determined that my guinea pig had been quite lucky, and had escaped from the incident relatively unscathed!

Regrettably, the same guinea pig has fallen from her hutch again this morning - Of course, I have checked her over, and, once again, I believe that my guinea pig has been quite lucky, and has escaped from this incident relatively unscathed also!

However, I believe that the reason as to why these incidences have occurred, is because this guinea pig is developing cataracts!

Of course, I will be taking further precautions to ensure that a similar incident does not happen again!

@Wiebke - I am aware that you have a few guinea pigs with cataracts?! Any advice?!

Oh bless her! One accident prone guinea piggy. Perhaps you need to have a safety net/ soft mattress underneath;). Sure Weibke can offer you help on this one. Hope your little lass is not hurt. Xx

Poor piggy! You will need to either find a way to make your hutch fall-safe or move your girl and her friend to a different - safer - accommodation. Did the falls happen during feeding time or from a ramp?

Old age cataracts are not rare. The most difficult phase is the onset when a piggy has not yet learned to compensate with its other senses and the phase when it is going virtually blind with fully developed cataracts; the development of cataracts is usually a gradual process, but it can happen quite quickly in some cases. You can check whether there is a cataract if a flashlight picture shows purple or light blue eyes instead of red ones.
Please see a vet for a diagnosis and to make sure that a blue film or dot on the surface of the eye it is not due to an ulcerating eye injury.

@Wiebke - The veterinarian who examined the guinea pig on Tuesday, confirmed that the guinea pig is developing cataracts! The guinea pig is approximately two years old! The guinea pig will literally climb over the edge of the hutch whenever the door is open! Other than putting the guinea pig into a carrier, whenever I open the hutch, I do not believe that there is much more I can do to prevent her from falling again. . . I am considering using a carrier, with a removable door, as a 'hidey'. . .That way I can simply add/remove the door as, and when needed. . .

I will continue to monitor the guinea pig over the weekend, and attempt to take her with me next week (I have to take one of my other guinea pigs for a check-up), to be examined by my cavy-savvy veterinarian, who can perform 'conscious' x-rays etc!

Thanks for the clarification! At 1-2 years old, you are typically dealing with congenital cataracts; i.e. genetically determined ones that do not owe anything to old age. They are much rarer. My Taffy and Telyn had this type of cataract, as well as my pre-Tribe piggy Mischief.

You may try the carrier option or consider installing a removable correx tray or plexiglass rim to prevent them climbing over at feeding time, but that would still allow you full access for cleaning if the carrier option doesn't work out.

Here is Mischief's story - she returned to free-roaming the garden (under my supervision of course) after the initial adjustment period.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...nd-eye-on-mischief-another-piggy-story.33420/

Thank you for your reply, @Wiebke - And suggestions!

The guinea pig in question was intended to be a breeding sow in her former home - I understand that the individual that bred/owned her previously, was retiring from breeding, and rehoming a large number of their guinea pigs, as their eyesight was failing them! I adopted this sow, and her companion (An ex-breeding/retired sow), before she was used for breeding! Quite pleased that I adopted this sow considering!

Is there any way of installing a removable barrier that you can slip in as you open the door, to prevent the piggy from taking a tumble?

Thank you, @Wiebke!

I have read Mischief's story - My sow is also a brindle Abyssinian (I understand that Abyssinians are prone to cataracts)!

As I have read a few posts recently, where individuals appear to attempt to withhold veterinary care/ treat their guinea pigs at home, I would like to make it abundantly clear that the decision to withhold veterinary care until next week has not been taken lightly!

However, as mentioned above, I took the guinea pig in question to my local veterinary practice after the first incident on Tuesday - Regrettably, my local veterinary practice is not cavy-savvy, and, while the veterinarian was very understanding, quite accommodating, and performed a full examination, I am an experienced guinea pig owner, and can perform an adequate examination!

Ideally, I would have had my guinea pig examined after both incidences, by my cavy-savvy veterinarian, but as I am caring for one of my other guinea pigs, who has recently had surgery, and as my cavy-savvy veterinarian is not available until next week, this simply has not been possible!

Nevertheless, I will continue to closely monitor the guinea pig in question, and will seek emergency veterinary treatment if necessary! Furthermore, as I mentioned above, I will be taking the guinea pig in question to be examined by my cavy-savvy veterinarian next week, to have a 'conscious' x-ray, and to have her teeth checked etc. . .

I accept full responsibility for the above incidences, and any consequences that may arise as a result of these incidences, and/or from not seeking veterinary care sooner etc. . .

Is there any way of installing a removable barrier that you can slip in as you open the door, to prevent the piggy from taking a tumble?

Quite possibly. . . Although, the guinea pig in question is quite the climber, and can scale solid 6"+ barriers with relative ease! Typical Abyssinian, I'm afraid - Strong-willed!

Abys pack so much personality, but they can also be a bit madcap! I hope that you can work out a way that is making things safe for her and you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back