• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Guinea pig grooming self?!

Nadsgirl75

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi.. sorry if this is a silly question but is it normal for guinea pigs to groom themselves? My boys are forever, washing and preening themselves... I don’t think they are scratching and I certainly can’t see anything in their fur, I do thorough checks of them at least daily.
I’m a little paranoid after having Donald be quite poorly for the last couple of days so maybe I’m reading into this too much.
Maybe their just hygienic?! 🤣🤣

PigglePuggle

Teenage Guinea Pig
Mine groom themselves all the time, and sometimes groom each other. The standing on hind legs doing a squirrelly thing to clean their face and ears with their front feet is adorable. Licking their own bum or even someone else's is less cute, but very necessary! I think I read somewhere that grooming in front of another piggy means they are relaxed and trust them, so maybe your boys just trust you enough now to know you aren't going to attack and eat them while they are busy having a wash :)