• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig: Hayrack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two phat tray cages as the birds never fed from them last winter, the pigs may as well use them and I have two small hay balls on one side, plus two proper hayracks that are designed to hang on wire cages. That is in the indoor set up.

Outside I have the hay racks off zoo plus that are a great size but you screw into the wooden hutch sides, as I couldnt bring these in to use on the indoor pen which is made of wire panels I improvised to provide the same amount of hay for my 4.

I cant have the hay on the floor for them as that makes the guys smell of hay and I will react to the hay on their fur, they are perfectly happy to eat from the racks and it keeps wastage of hay down.

Ended up ditching the litter bowl and now just using a kitchen roll stuffed with hay. Works much better.

i tried 2 different hay racks, the green ones you clip onto the cage and also the hanging metal ball type ones, never had any success with them to be honest so they were a waste of money for me, so i just puts the hay on the floor as it hoovered up every day anyway.

i tried 2 different hay racks, the green ones you clip onto the cage and also the hanging metal ball type ones, never had any success with them to be honest so they were a waste of money for me, so i just puts the hay on the floor as it hoovered up every day anyway.
Good thing about the kitchen roll is that they can't poo/pee on the hay.

A non-GP owning friend of mine got me some lovely heavy ceramic red polka dot oven to tableware. I wonder what she'd say if she found out I was using it as a hay container! Never mind, Wilbur has taken to curling up inside it after a good feed - very sweet. I also use a plastic colander which I hang from the side of my indoor run, and sometimes just put in a box of hay which they love. Someone on here suggested filling a brown bag with hay which went down a treat, and I also save toilet rolls to stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back