• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea pig home set up

Lydi.aimee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has any advice on this set up

I have recently purchased two living world eco habitats in large (One habitat= 118.5cm x 78.5cm x 61cm) and I plan on putting the two together to form one hutch.

Could this be suitable for three boars 2 being 4 years old and one being 8/9 months?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Lydi

I believe it would be a good size, however I (and just about everyone on the forum) would strongly suggest not to bond a third pig into your pair. I assume that’s what your intention is, if you haven’t already tried? Boar trios fail around 90% of the time and in doing so, you will most likely jeopardise the bond between your two 4 year olds which would then mean separating and finding new friends for both of them and the new pig. Boars must live in pairs, anymore is a call for disaster - there are few exceptions. My boys were 4, one passed away on Saturday, and I couldn’t imagine doing anything to disrupt their bond! It is so important, they are each other’s family and adding a third boy will most likely result in the boys you’ve had together for four years being separated. It’s 100% not worth it.

Please don’t put the three together. As @Little Ones said, the failure rate of more than two boars together is very high - it rarely works. Your youngest is in the throes of his teenage phase which can mean testing boundaries and trying to be top pig. It can end in disaster and with three pigs having to live separately. I would get another cage and find him a friend.

It’s advised that boars are housed in a minimum cage size of 140cm or 10 sq feet. So the two older boys really do need two habitat cages next to each other, and two of everything.

The alternative is you get your little boar neutered and find him a girlfriend or two after the six week wait.

I believe it would be a good size, however I (and just about everyone on the forum) would strongly suggest not to bond a third pig into your pair. I assume that’s what your intention is, if you haven’t already tried? Boar trios fail around 90% of the time and in doing so, you will most likely jeopardise the bond between your two 4 year olds which would then mean separating and finding new friends for both of them and the new pig. Boars must live in pairs, anymore is a call for disaster - there are few exceptions. My boys were 4, one passed away on Saturday, and I couldn’t imagine doing anything to disrupt their bond! It is so important, they are each other’s family and adding a third boy will most likely result in the boys you’ve had together for four years being separated. It’s 100% not worth it.
Thank you for your advice sorry to hear about the loss of your piggy it’s a horrible time and I send you and your piggy lots of love and best wishes. The last thing I would want to do is split up milo and pippin as their love for each is so incredible. I am going to put the two cages together and let them enjoy all that space. The only thing is I am worried about when the time comes where one says goodbye I don’t want to leave the other guinea pig alone but that’s something for the future and I don’t want to think about it.

Please don’t put the three together. As @Little Ones said, the failure rate of more than two boars together is very high - it rarely works. Your youngest is in the throes of his teenage phase which can mean testing boundaries and trying to be top pig. It can end in disaster and with three pigs having to live separately. I would get another cage and find him a friend.

It’s advised that boars are housed in a minimum cage size of 140cm or 10 sq feet. So the two older boys really do need two habitat cages next to each other, and two of everything.

The alternative is you get your little boar neutered and find him a girlfriend or two after the six week wait.
Hi thanks for your message. I understand and was advised by people who have lots of Guineas pig experience that one of the cages was good for two boars along with floor time but I wanted to give them more space so got another. I have rescued two younger boars but they fell out and I was trying to find another solution before thinking about neutering but obviously it’s not the right way to go. I watch lots of Guinea pig videos including Skinnypigs1 la guinea pig rescue so I know lots about them.

Thank you for your advice sorry to hear about the loss of your piggy it’s a horrible time and I send you and your piggy lots of love and best wishes. The last thing I would want to do is split up milo and pippin as their love for each is so incredible. I am going to put the two cages together and let them enjoy all that space. The only thing is I am worried about when the time comes where one says goodbye I don’t want to leave the other guinea pig alone but that’s something for the future and I don’t want to think about it.
Thank you, we are coping! Definitely keep your boys as just a pair and don’t even consider adding more to the mix, when one passes rescues offer a service called guinea pig dating where they will bond your pig with one in their care. Little went away Monday to be bonded at a rescue in Doncaster and came back Tuesday with a new friend, he’s so much happier and honestly I am too. Though it may be a long way off for you so it’s something to think about when a pig becomes terminally ill, as mine had, or passes suddenly

Back